Unknown Fossil - Widder Formation - Hungry Hollow

clfossils

Good day, this is a fossil collected from the Widder Formation at Hungry Hollow. I was wondering if someone might know what this is? It is 3.8 cm x 4 cm and appears to have dimples across its surface, what I believe to have been spines.

Unknown_HungryHollow_DSC_6123.JPG

THANK YOU,

Corey Lablans

PLATYCERAS dumosum Gastropod.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Definitely a platyceras spiny gastropod. Reasonably common at that location very often found in association with crinoids. A spine would have protruded from each of those bumps.

Chiming in late here but Mikey and Malcolm are correct. The spiny Platyceras are not terribly common in my collecting experiences.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived