Found A Little Crab Today

claire01

I checked out MB's page and think this is cenomanocarcinus vanstraeleni, but not 100% sure. The top is a little worse for wear and could use some cleaning, but the flip side looks awesome. Can anyone confirm this ID?post-7100-0-34551200-1399484935_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-53558700-1399484963_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-43903500-1399484985_thumb.jpg

This is from the Eagle Ford Formation in Texas. Cretaceous. The crab is Approx. 2" wide.

Edited by claire01

I would say it looks like a Ceno to me. The coloration is a bit different than many I have seen in the past. I wonder if you are collecting fairly high in the Britton portion of the Eagle Ford as there seems to be a higher concentration of the yellowish nodules higher in that formation.

Nice find----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Hi Richard, is there a map of the boundaries of the Britton? If I walk far enough I come to an area where the rocks become red and orange rather than the lighter colors I am used to. To me, this is when I enter the Britton portion. I'm still not 100% convinced my usual hunting grounds lie within the boundary. But I could be wrong.

Also:

Thanks Tom!

Edited by claire01

Hi Claire,

For me is C. vanstraeleni, and yes, the ventral side is fantastic, with a lot of relevant structures very well preserved, please don't touch ;)

Also, I find very curious the holes in the carapace.

Congrats !

:)

• I found this Informative 1

A very desirable find, much less common than Notopocorystes in the Upper Britton.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Oh yea!...that's one sweet lil'baby!.....so jealous. :D

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com