Looking To Buy A Gps- Suggestions

KansasFossilHunter

I should really be marking the locations of my fossils better- hence the need for a GPS. Do you have any suggestions?

Old Google Earth system (not very helpful):

post-6661-0-36598900-1399516216_thumb.jpg

Any help is appreciated

-Kris (KansasFossilHunter)

I have a Garmin EtrexHC and it works great. The problem is the added cost of the topo maps which are as current as the Gazetteer Maps

(not always up to date some parts are 30 years old.). A smart phone with google earth might be more current but not sure of the accuracy.

The Garmin and all hand helds can at best get you within 30ft.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I purchased a Garmin GPSmap 62 just over a year ago and it has not disappointed.

Hi,

I bought a few years ago a GPS of hike, it allows me to note the GPS adresses of the places which interest me and to put back them on G00gle- Earth. So, I can place them very exactly and find them again later...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Before buying a separate GPS, consider buying a smart phone with a GPS receiver built into it. The Android model I bought last month was probably cheaper than an stand-alone GPS. I use it with an app called GeoCam, which lets me document my fossil localities with a single photo, like this:

post-7334-0-03851300-1399597274_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Aw come on MarleysGhost couldn't you post a nice, secret, highly productive site as an example. :D

That looks like an interesting app I think I might have to try it.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I second MarleysGhost. Get a smart phone and various GPS apps. I use GeoCam as well. In my experience I get on average about 15 feet accuracy. Somewhere I still have a handheld GPS, a Garmin car GPS, and a cheap digital camera. My smart phone has replaced all of these. Just carry a spare battery or portable recharger if you plan to spend more than 6 hours in the field.

• I found this Informative 1

if you have a smartphone, use Command Compass. It's a Free app. I just did a grad school project on it and found it to be as accurate as most $200+ GPS units on the market--I couldn't believe it was free!

I'll 3rd Marley'sGhost and give the silverphoenix a "thumbs up"; I relied on a GPS app on my Android last year during a week's expedition in Montana

One major consideration, however, is battery life. If you can periodically recharge your cell phone, there's little problem, but for extended trips into the outback, there might be cause for concern if you want to rely on your phone. Here's a great article from a pretty good source on the matter:

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/319

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple Jackery external batteries and a case that has a backup battery. You might consider investing in things such as this. I can charge my phone 3x per pack and 2x with the case. Usually lasts 5-8 days depending on how hard I use my phone. Also might invest in a couple goal zero or other foldable/rollable solar panels. Energy is worth it's weight in gold when you're miles away from a power outlet

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Garmin Venture HC eTrex gps along with my phone. signal is much better under trees and places i go. Plus runs on 2 AA batteries, so light weight and easy to carry spare batteries. They have some newer models that are water proof too, super easy to use. Not to pricey either.

As long as you are in an area that has phone reception, the phone idea is great. Otherwise, I have found Garmin to be a reliable company.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

I just use the map portion of the fossil collector app. I can zoom in on the Google earth satellite picture and place my marker there with the fossils I collect. It's a cool app and it's free as well.

• 1 month later...

I have carried a Garmin Etrex Legend for almost 15yrs....never lets me down...good battery life..reception....etc...

I use a Garman GPS because rarely do I have a phone signal where I collect Like the idea of the phone apps if you are within coverage areas. Just one less item to pack or forget.

A smart phone gps and most apps will work without cell signal...I use the fossil Collector app for android and use the built in gps marker, it sets gps to within inches, sets horizon and azimuth, and works with google maps and google earth

Screenshot 2014 08 17 22 10 25