Shark Teeth From 20 Mile Creek Mississippi

lfailla

Mam, your pictures didn't come through with your post, please repost them.

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

If you may be having trouble, there is a FAQ section on the main Forum page, click that, and one of the sections in it kinda helps explain how to attach pics w/ posts....maybe try loading 1 pic at a time. If that's not it, when you click to add a pic to this post, there is another button you can try (after hitting that more reply options button), when it opens, at the bottom left of the screen on the post you are making, there is one called "try the basic uploader"....that may work for you...

--- Joshua

Also, welcome to the Forum from Tennessee. :)

--- Joshua

Pic #3 is certainly a Goblin shark!

--- Joshua

Thank you!! My 6 year old nephew and I are discovering the world of fossils together and he'll be excited to know about which tooth goes with what shark.

Laura

Pic #4 is a Goblin also. :)

--- Joshua

Thank you!! My 6 year old nephew and I are discovering the world of fossils together and he'll be excited to know about which tooth goes with what shark.

Laura

I'm very glad to assist you Laura, i live about 88 miles from that creek and find Goblin shark teeth often up here.....can't wait to get my feet wet @ 20 mile!!! :D There is a free pdf file you can download that will greatly help you....google it...it's A field Guide to Frankstown....i think is the name of it....by the Mississippi Dept. Of conservation. That should be enough to pull it up on the search on the first page....your nephew will love looking @ that! :) i'll look @ my copy and see about your other finds right quick, but somebody will probably beat me to the i.d.....

--- Joshua

Okay, i reviewed the guide to Frankstown, pic#2 appears to me to be a Otodus appendiculatus, pic #1 is alittle harder to determine, but from what i can tell by the size and shape (as long as it's whole), it appears to be the small unidentified Crocodillian species listed in the guide.....outstanding finds! Congratulations!....that first one really makes me jealous.....:D

--- Joshua

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Pictures 2-4 are Scapanorhynchus ( ska-pan-or-rank-us) texanus, #2 is a lateral (side tooth) while the others are anterior teeth (front). The first object, I don't have a clue but interesting. After hunting the Cretaceous deposits in Texas for some 35 years I have specimens that are still unknown. Thanks for sharing and keep hunting, 20 mile creek , a lot of area to cover----Tom

post-3940-0-86091000-1399759330_thumb.jpgA group of anterior and lateral teeth from the Sulphur river in Texas

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I'm going to re-post the unidentifiable photo #1 with a front and back picture and hopefully someone can recognize it.

Thanks for all your help Foshunter and Tennessee Pride!

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Pictures 2-4 are Scapanorhynchus ( ska-pan-or-rank-us) texanus, #2 is a lateral (side tooth) while the others are anterior teeth (front). The first object, I don't have a clue but interesting. After hunting the Cretaceous deposits in Texas for some 35 years I have specimens that are still unknown. Thanks for sharing and keep hunting, 20 mile creek , a lot of area to cover----Tom

attachicon.gifScapanorhynchus texanus.jpgA group of anterior and lateral teeth from the Sulphur river in Texas

Sir, i bet you're gonna be right about pics 2-4 all being Goblins, as, you have 35 yr. of experience tearing up them Cretaceous layers & that's only how old i now am, and also, i wasn't thinking Goblin on #2 because i couldn't see striations on the tooth itself....but, i have since read that teeth from the area of the mouth those are located, the striations are barely noticeable...it sure is good to learn something new every day....

--- Joshua

I'm going to re-post the unidentifiable photo #1 with a front and back picture and hopefully someone can recognize it.

Thanks for all your help Foshunter and Tennessee Pride!

Your sure welcome mam, and if it come to find out isn't Crocodilian, i hope somebody can i.d. correctly for you. This is a great group of very knowledgeable people, so your in the right spot. :)

--- Joshua

Archived