Could This Be A Little Fossilized Pearl? From The Britton Member Of The Eagle Ford Formation In Texas. It's A Little More Than A Quarter Inch Round.

claire01

a pear would be sweet. just sayin'...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

So embarrassed. I even previewed it before I posted. Can someone edit that?

EDIT: Got it :)

Don't change it!

More people will view your post to see a fossil pear. ;)

I've only seen a couple fossil pearls and they were grey in color and looked "peely" not perfectly smooth and round.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Well there you go. Looks more like a pearl to me now after reading that or an old cocoa puff.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Your mixed message confuses me Mikey :). So which is it: pear, pearl or cocoa puff? :D

If it's not a netleaf hackberry seed (look for signs of a stem & flower end), then it might just be a pearl.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I found this paper online that states that (as of 2004) many had been collected in this area and some of them were perfectly spherical and had a range of color from tan to black. Here's the paper:

https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2004AM/finalprogram/abstract_75787.htm

sounds like you need to grind it down a little to see the onion skin layering? Not suggesting you do this of course

Claire, you find some of the coolest stuff up that way. :) It looks like a small hematite nodule, but it's hard to say based on a photo. Here is a link to some pearls found in your part of Texas.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey, thanks everyone for looking. John, that was my fear so I have been reading up on hematite since I ran across this. And while i do see a number of those little nodules around, none of them are anywhere near the perfect little sphere this one is. The area in which it was found has an abundance of inoceramid pelecypod fossils (hope I'm saying that right), so I felt like it might be within the realm of possibilities for it to be a little pearl.

Auspex, thanks for the edit! I don't see anything on it that makes me think seed.

Plax: not grinding it down, but thanks for the suggestion :)

If it seems a little heavier than it should (or to comparably sized pebbles in the area), then something related to hematite is a good guess. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Any rabbits in the area? :D

Could be a pearl. I found an Eocene pearl, it was 1/4" and silver,

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I'd like to see a picture of that Herb, unless you are pulling my leg. JohnJ has me almost convinced its a hematite nodule. It does sort of have glossier appearance than the ones in the link he provided. I'm not completely convinced, though :)

Oh, and John-this is so small any difference in weight between a pebble this size and this would be impossible to tell, by me at least.

I was thinking...if this is hematite, a simple streak test should provide the answer. I can't find a single bit of unglazed tile here at home but will track something down today. And hopefully get some better pictures when the sun comes out. It stormed here all day yesterday.

I was thinking...if this is hematite, a simple streak test should provide the answer. I can't find a single bit of unglazed tile here at home but will track something down today. And hopefully get some better pictures when the sun comes out. It stormed here all day yesterday.

Hey Claire. How 'bout the underside of the toilet tank lid?

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

You're brilliant. I tried doing the test on a number of other surfaces and got no streak at all so...I guess...toilet tank it is:)

You're brilliant. I tried doing the test on a number of other surfaces and got no streak at all so...I guess...toilet tank it is:)

haha... glad I could help. I sure do hope it's a pearl tho.

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Brown streak :( so unless pearls leave a streak that looks just like hematite or this "pearl" just needs a good cleaning (which , I think, is my last, best hope) it is not a pearl.

I will post a pix of the pearl later. When I find it :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 1 year later...

I would think my finding can be a pearl fossil. It was found in a stone. Drop me an email.

post-19290-0-63314800-1438691276_thumb.jpg

Archived