Silverdaisy

This tooth was found by a culvert near (NE) Webster, SD. I think it is a cow molar, but would anyone have any idea of which one and it's age? Thanks!

post-15289-0-77461600-1400107418_thumb.jpg

post-15289-0-54522200-1400107436_thumb.jpg

post-15289-0-43424500-1400107461_thumb.jpg

There now, that makes much better conversation than a cow tooth don'tcha think!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you all! Any other information or guesses regarding the tooth would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way to approximate age?

Age is much more difficult than species. Even differentiating between cow (Bos) and Bison is difficult. If it is a cow it is not older than 150 years or so. If it is Bison it could go back several thousand. The best way to find out for sure is to have it carbon dated, and that is a lot of fun, but it costs about 700 bucks. Here is how much fun it is. You put in in the mail... ship it to a lab, pay them and they send it back with an answer.

Is there any way to guess/approximate how young it is? And does Bos mean cow?

"Bos" is simply the genus for domestic and wild cattle.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:hearty-laugh: Humor! Yes, I've heard of that. And the tooth is stained yellow, as well. I'm sure there's another joke in there somewhere. I should have picked up on the potential for laughs!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 3 weeks later...

Archived