Help With Tooth Id

sharko69

I found these teeth at post oak creek and and am wondering if someone can help me identify them. I am guessing racoon? Look to be fossilized. Thanks for any help?

Here are links to a couple image-posting tips:

LINK1

LINK2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those look like mammal canines of some sort.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Coyote is a real possibility -- it depends on size . please provide a measurement in inches/mm. I am not sure it is a fossil.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I had found a large tooth like that years ago....and have always presumed it to be of a Canine=coyote,Wolf. As recently as 150 yr ago, there were Wolves in my area native...Coyotes aren't native here but have naturalized since the Wolves have for the most part disappeared. There are also what's called Red Wolves that have came into this area from the south, they are bigger than coyotes but not as big as timber wolves generally....w/ a coat like a coyotes but tinges of red on the ends of the hairs.

Honestly, i don't know for a fact that mine & your tooth are Canine, but i have presumed they were. Your root structure on yours seems to be slightly different than mine too....so there must be a possibility that our teeth didn't come from the same animal type?

post-14571-0-19588900-1400289132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Also, i wouldn't think my example to be a fossil...but i can't quite remember where exactly i found it.

--- Joshua

I say dog or animal of that family. Doesn't appear to be fossilized judging from your photo.

Edited by jpevahouse

Sir, your large tooth is that of a coyote, here is a pic of one like yours, and i know this because i just went and pulled it out of a probable Coyote skull i have collected (for matters just like this...strange as it may sound. :D) I will also post the skull with the tooth back in position in it so you may form your own opinion. It does however appear that your large tooth is a bit older than mine that came out of the skull.

Now that's making me wonder what mouth that first tooth i posted belongs too...since it has a pointed root structure....

post-14571-0-38582900-1400290602_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-03147700-1400290662_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-99270700-1400290728_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-40696400-1400290792_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-73049300-1400290852_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

I also found another tooth there this weekend but is much smaller and definately recent. I will post a picture of all three with measurements. Thanks everyone.

Mountain Lion skulls & Wolf skulls also both have slightly different features than the skull pictured. Your's appears to be slightly shorter than the skull specimen...so there may perhaps be a raccoon possibility...but, i'd probably still go with Coyote because there really isn't that much difference, and body wise, there is a bigger difference in the animals...

--- Joshua

Here is another picture with two more similar teeth I found on seperate streches of the creek.

post-15063-0-62517800-1400297963_thumb.jpg