Cretacious Shark Tooth Id

sharko69

Found these at Post Oak Creek but unsure of what kind of shark they are from. One I think isa small posterior makrel shark but Iwill leaveit to the experts.

Thanks for any help.

post-15063-0-81022900-1400315934_thumb.jpg

post-15063-0-20640700-1400315953_thumb.jpg

You have found symphyseal teeth, the one to the left looks like Cretalamna symphyseal tooth.

Edited by Sélacien34

You have found symphyseal teeth, i'm not sure about the specie, i have to look at it.

I have seen the term "symphyseal" used before but I haven't a clue what it means. Somebody please explain?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

The term "symphyseal" describes the teeth which lie at the level of the symphysis of the shark jaw, joint cartilage is located on the center of the jaw. The parasymphyseal teeth are slightly on the sides of the symphysis.

post-11962-0-04998400-1400323041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sélacien34
  • I found this Informative 1

The term "symphyseal" describes the teeth which lie at the level of the symphysis of the shark jaw, joint cartilage is located on the center of the jaw. The parasymphyseal teeth are slightly on the sides of the symphysis.

Thank you! I have Googled it a number of times but I mostly found info about human jaw fractures or some-such!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Awesome information. Thank you so much for the feedback and the picture was extremely helpful.

You might have some Goblin shark in the mix...(top, center, and right)...tooth at the top looks like it may have some striations running down the tooth itself...which may indicate Goblin....also where root meets tooth, there is a small notch in the center of the root...Goblins have that best i know of...

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com