Best Tools And Products To Clean A Fossil With

Yomynameishannah

Hi everybody!

I was wondering what would be the best products to clean fossils with? And what would be the best tools to use to chip away dirt and stuff? I have mostly ammonites, but I do have some gastropods, a few devils toenails.

And what is the best way to clean fossils? And are products and tools universal for any fossil? Or can you only clean, do certain things to certain fossils?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to be able to get my fossils looking great:)

You can get started with old dental picks. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks! Where can I get them from?

thanks! Where can I get them from?

Ask your dentist; they go through a lot of them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Investing in a good rock hammer and chisel never hurts. Also, if you can't find any dental picks sewing needles work just fine. A magnifying glass for detail work is helpful also.

The more reluctant the matrix is to come away from the fossil, the more specialized (and expensive) your prep equipment will need to be. I assume it's mostly easier in TX than it is up here in my area...? The trick is to attack the matrix as effectively as possible while avoiding scratching or abrading or dissolving the fossil itself. That's my armchair advice!

You seem to collect mostly Cretaceous stuff, so you would probably have a much easier time preparing specimens than I would as I have to deal with limestone and dolomite while you have chalk which is not as hard. The options that have already been presented to you should fit your needs.

It depends on the matrix down here. At one site I can break off most of the matrix with just my hands, another site TNT is the only way to remove it.

I do a lot of prep work on the cheap. I have several sizes of chisels, dental picks, safety pins, my wife's toothbrush (LOL), metal brushes, dremel with several different attachments. Sometimes the dental picks can be expensive, so if there's a Harbor Freight near you they sell a white plastic packet containing similar tools at a MUCH cheaper price. And they have a super fine point that may not stay as sharp as long, depending on the material. You can also find some good, cheap but short lived brushes there, too.

Also remember that not all matrix has to be removed. Some specimens look very good still in the matrix.

Investing in a good rock hammer and chisel never hurts. Also, if you can't find any dental picks sewing needles work just fine. A magnifying glass for detail work is helpful also.

thank you! I tried the sewing needle and the matrix came off easily :) my shell looks better now!

The more reluctant the matrix is to come away from the fossil, the more specialized (and expensive) your prep equipment will need to be. I assume it's mostly easier in TX than it is up here in my area...? The trick is to attack the matrix as effectively as possible while avoiding scratching or abrading or dissolving the fossil itself. That's my armchair advice!

great armchair advice!! I think it is a bit easier with most stuff. I do have one fossil I'm trying to use a sewing needle with and it won't budge though. I was thinking king of using a dremel but am too scared to use it! Lol

I do a lot of prep work on the cheap. I have several sizes of chisels, dental picks, safety pins, my wife's toothbrush (LOL), metal brushes, dremel with several different attachments. Sometimes the dental picks can be expensive, so if there's a Harbor Freight near you they sell a white plastic packet containing similar tools at a MUCH cheaper price. And they have a super fine point that may not stay as sharp as long, depending on the material. You can also find some good, cheap but short lived brushes there, too.

oh my gosh, Haha! Your poor wife..I'm sure fossil dust makes a great toothpaste! I was thinking of using a dremel but am too scared I'll mess up and or injure myself somehow, but have been using a safety pin/sewing needle and its worked for the most part on some of my fossils! I'm not sure if I have a harbor freight around here but I'll definitely check that out. Thanks :)

Oh and does anybody know how to use the beeswax I bought? I tried applying it to a rag but..it didnt really do anything. The one I got is from Joann fabric store.

To use the beeswax .. you need a small propane torch. you heat the rock and melt the wax onto the hot rock, then wipe off the excess while it is still hot.

Cheers

Ed

Archived