My Travels Through Time…day 4 The Miocene

obsessed1

We had originally planned on hitting Green Mill Run but with all the rain figured it would be way too high to be productive so we hunted the plies of Miocene Pungo at the Aurora Museum. We were in luck they had just dumped fresh material and only a couple people had been there before us. This material is usually full of fossils and today was no exception. I found a few nice Makos one being a Retroflexus, a couple Catticus unfortunately both were missing one cusp, some Hemis , contortus and several porpoise teeth the best being 1 3/8” with a complete root. Also found were several Barracuda teeth some small fish teeth and a Tautog tooth minus the root. I filled several boxes with material to go through at home to find micros. As I started the long drive home I couldn’t help but to wonder what the spring season at PCS would bring?

post-281-1232923222_thumb.jpgpost-281-1232923227_thumb.jpg

We had originally planned on hitting Green Mill Run but with all the rain figured it would be way too high to be productive so we hunted the plies of Miocene Pungo at the Aurora Museum. We were in luck they had just dumped fresh material and only a couple people had been there before us. This material is usually full of fossils and today was no exception. I found a few nice Makos one being a Retroflexus, a couple Catticus unfortunately both were missing one cusp, some Hemis , contortus and several porpoise teeth the best being 1 3/8” with a complete root. Also found were several Barracuda teeth some small fish teeth and a Tautog tooth minus the root. I filled several boxes with material to go through at home to find micros. As I started the long drive home I couldn’t help but to wonder what the spring season at PCS would bring?

post-281-1232923222_thumb.jpgpost-281-1232923227_thumb.jpg

Those are nice !! how often does the museum dump material?, and is it always that productive. nice haul11

Guest bmorefossil
nice porpise tooth to bad you didnt find any teeth in pile

what i ment to say was to bad you did not find any large teeth in the spoil pile

Great finds! I love that pile :D Just give me a shovel and a sifter and I'm happy there. Too bad you beat me to it :D

Yes, hopefully we should have a new ramp and a newer area. Let's hope that the reclaimtion at least eroded some fossil on it's way back out. :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
Great finds! I love that pile :D Just give me a shovel and a sifter and I'm happy there. Too bad you beat me to it :D

Yes, hopefully we should have a new ramp and a newer area. Let's hope that the reclaimtion at least eroded some fossil on it's way back out. :D

yes that would be nice

The few fossils I picked up didn't even begin to deplete those piles. For those in the Aurora area the piles had all been replaced with new material just days before I was there. Unfortunatly my boxes of material have frozen solid on the trip back to Maryland. I guess it will be awhile before I will be able to start going through it.

Archived