Mary Anning's 215Th Birthday!

NZ_Fossil_Collecta

today (as of the day i am posting this) is Mary Anning's 215th birthday!

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Wow! I read her biography to my elementary students every year. Without fail someone will elect to portray her I our Wax Museum.

Very interesting. I had never heard of her before. I'm envious of her ability to search cliffs that produced so many awesome specimens.

Very interesting. I had never heard of her before. I'm envious of her ability to search cliffs that produced so many awesome specimens.

:blink: never heard of her...

she was a pioneer in the field of paleontology.

to quote the Natural History Museum in London "The spectacular marine reptiles that Anning unearthed shook the scientific community into looking at different explanations for changes in the natural world. William Buckland, Henry de la Beche and William Conybeare were some of the many scientists who owe their achievements to her. By the time of her death, geology was firmly established as its own scientific discipline."

In other words, her discoveries helped cement Cuvier's theory of extinction (for those who dont know, not too long ago, it was widely believed that none of God's creatures could go extinct.)

Heres a good link with more about her:http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/science-of-natural-history/biographies/mary-anning/

From the link;

Mary Anning: Google doodle celebrates the missing woman of geology
Searching for the missing women of geology, Suzanne Pilaar Birch asks if this could be the only existing photograph of renowned palaeontologist and geologist Mary Anning.
Born in 1799, Mary Anning was the discoverer of the famous ichthyosaur and plesiosaur fossils on the Jurassic coast of Dorset. Following her death in 1847, Charles Dickens wrote of her contribution to geology: "It was not a science when she began to discover, and so [she] helped to make it one." The Natural History Museum in London has called her the "greatest fossil hunter ever known".

"Never heard of her" I'll bet you have.

She is the "she" in

"She sells seashells on the seashore"

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

A piece of trivia that I previously didn't know..... Mary Anning was the first person to discover intact ink sacs in the Belemnites she was finding. She also dissected squids and made the connection between these creatures with modern squids.

Her fellow fossil finder and illustrator Elizabeth Philpot revived the 160 million year old ink from the Belemnites and made drawings with it. Here's one of Philpot's drawings using the fossil ink. It is of one of Mary Annings Ichthyosaur fossils.

Philpot.jpg

They say other people in their town also made fossil ink drawings to sell to the tourist to Lyme Regis in the early 1800s. Anyone on the forum ever get ink out of one of their belemnites?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

A piece of trivia that I previously didn't know..... Mary Anning was the first person to discover intact ink sacs in the Belemnites she was finding. She also dissected squids and made the connection between these creatures with modern squids.

Her fellow fossil finder and illustrator Elizabeth Philpot revived the 160 million year old ink from the Belemnites and made drawings with it. Here's one of Philpot's drawings using the fossil ink. It is of one of Mary Annings Ichthyosaur fossils.

Philpot.jpg

They say other people in their town also made fossil ink drawings to sell to the tourist to Lyme Regis in the early 1800s. Anyone on the forum ever get ink out of one of their belemnites?

Being a antique lover, fossil lover, artist and owner of dozens of original fossil and fish prints from the 1800's, that is one of the coolest and most extraordinary stories and ink works I've seen! Thank you for sharing!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That is remarkable! Yes, I could see that sketch appealing to a variety of interests..

Archived