Commissioned Someone To Make Me A Microraptor.

Raistlin

As the title says I found someone through their postings online and contacted them about creating me a life size Microraptor. The cost was right for the time and work put into the piece, the cost included shipping from Florida to Missouri. I chose the pose and colors. I wanted a defensive/mating display pose and for the colors I wanted sort of a drab color for all of it but the head creast and the two end tail feathers. I understand that at least one fossil has shown evidence that they might have been black iridecent but I thought this coloring might be more natural looking. Also I am just not sure that we really are positive of the coloring.

I will post a few images and then a link to all 18 photos.

Iv9B1L9.jpg

NEB6CFW.jpg

s7r87yL.jpg

Ob0wzrf.jpg

Full album 18 photos.

http://imgur.com/a/SB74h

Each feather is individually glued onto the body. The feathers are natrual pheasant aside from the crest and two tail feathers. I have it placed in my fossil display case in the living room I am still looking for and contacting places though for some nice LED lights for the cabinet.

If you like the piece and are okay with prices (feel free to pm me) I will contact that person and if they are looking for more work I can hook you up with their contact information.

Robert
Southeast, MO

wow! Thats really cool! What kind of feathers did he use? What is the bulk of the body weigh?

That's a very cool-looking piece, Robert!

I really like your color choice and pose.

Steve

Pheasant feathers for everything but the crest and the two red tail feathers. I am pretty sure the red feathers are died rooster feathers. Over all weight is pretty light 1.430 KG, 3.154 lbs, 50.45 oz. It is roughly 2-2 1/2 feet in length.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I did the best I could with the photos. It looks better in person though. If you click the photos you can see them more zoomed in and see better detail.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Pheasant feathers for everything but the crest and the two red tail feathers. I am pretty sure the red feathers are died rooster feathers. Over all weight is pretty light 1.430 KG, 3.154 lbs, 50.45 oz. It is roughly 2-2 1/2 feet in length.

hmmm...the "wing" feathers look similar to owl feathers.... Maybe Chas or another of the birders can weigh in. Nevertheless, that looks like a lot of work.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Definitely not owl. The feathers are not as soft as owl feathers. From looking them up they look to be pheasant, but I could be wrong. I am sure it was a lot of work. It is a lot more skill than I could hope to have. They do taxidermy for a living and were working with someone sculpting dinosaurs for a museum during this as well.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Awesome!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fabulous! Seriously! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have to admit that I am really smitten with your creature. But alas, I could never afford something like that. :(

But I was thinking...

They taxidermy birds all the time

post-9628-0-87545500-1401587845_thumb.jpg post-9628-0-52703800-1401587853_thumb.jpg

A talented sculptor could do wonders, but

post-9628-0-70320100-1401587864_thumb.jpg

This is a 20" velociraptor toy.

Just thinking... Might jog an idea for someone else. :D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

That would be cool. You should make one up, you seem to have a lot of art talent.

Robert
Southeast, MO

That would be cool. You should make one up, you seem to have a lot of art talent.

But I really like my chickens. :P

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts: