Mazon Creek Hunt 6/7/14...and The Results.

fossilized6s

Well im heading down to Mazon creek in a few weeks. Forum members Digit (Ken) and Rob Russell should be meeting me down there. I think we're going to dig the Park, but it's still up in the air. Feel free to join us on our hunt, it would be nice to finally meet some members!

Things to bring.

-bug spray and/or tick spray

-shovel, gardening claw, rock hammer or pick-axe

-water, snacks, etc.

-bucket/s (big or small)

-backpack to help carry everything

-gloves

-cake it will be Ken's Birthday!!!

^^^^Feel free to add to the list^^^^

Again it's June 7 th 2014.

9 a.m. exit 236 on I55 Coal City exit @ the Shell station on Johnson rd Rte.113.

Hope to see you out there!

Weather update if you're interested

http://m.accuweather.com/en/us/chicago-il/60608/weekend-weather/348308

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Good luck collecting! I would try and join you but already have plans that weekend.

Good luck to you guys out there! :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks guys!

This will be my first time going to that area with someone that actually knows where to look. I've been there twice before when i was younger, but i didn't know where to look. So i never found anything.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

This is actually really close to where I went last week. The Mazonia-Braidwood Fish and Wildlife Area. Is it the same place? Or someplace close by?

I found some Silurian (I think) trilobites in a wooded area. It says this area is known for the Pennsylvanian period, but the trilobites I found are from the Calymene genus which are around 400 mya. It was my first fossil hunt so it was definitely beginners luck! ;)

Maybe I'll join you if I don't have to work. I live about an hour away. If I'm able to go I'll probably bring a whole case of tick repellant since last time that was the one thing we forgot haha. We spent about a half an hour in the parking lot with some tweezers getting all those buggers off us. I may be a little emotionally scarred because of it haha.

Looking forward to the hunt, guys! Let's keep our fingers crossed for decent weather! :)

Hi trifling_trilobite.

This isn't the same location as the Mazonia-Braidwood site. The site we will be hunting is in Wilmington, Il. It's maybe 5 or 6 miles away from the park. Please feel free to join us if you're available. And by all means personal message me with any other question you may have.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Rob, so what was your plan? Digging, surface scrapping? I know Ken was thinking of going to the Park to dig, because everything might be over grown by now. IDK.

~Charlie~

I'd love to join in and get to know some of the forum members. However, I'm afraid I've done my quota (as measured by other members of my household :) ) of Mazon collecting for a bit.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Please join us if you can, Neophytus. Perhaps the pants will make an exception. :D

Charlie, we'll be hunting in a location where shovels are acceptable. ;) The "park" is surface collecting only. Which would work, but I think as a group we'll be much more productive digging this time of year in comparison to surface collecting in all of the undergrowth. I hope I'm right! :)

They let you dig in the Park? When did that change? Last time i was there they said no digging, only surface collecting. Good to know NOW, rather than later. On the other hand, if you're going outside the park somewhere, that sounds fun also.

Rock-knocker.

Please direct your attention to my comments directly above yours. I'm fairly certain I haven't mislead anybody but yourself. Nothing has changed at pit 11. Surface collecting only. No digging. I just don't want your statement misleading anybody.

Welcome to the forum.

Rob

Oh sorry, dont want to mislead anyone. I didn't notice your post. Is there room for any others on this collecting trip?

Yes sir!

Rob lets try and set a time and place so we can get this thing organized, and we can all get on the same page.

My vote is 8-9am.

~Charlie~

We'll meet at exit 231 on I55. Its the coal city exit, or hwy 113. On thw south west corner if the interchange is a Shell gas station. We'll meet there at 9a.m. Pit 2 is a mile up the road. I went there yesterday and found some beauties. However, the mosquitoes were ferotious, and ticks plentiful. Prepare!

Anybody who would like to join is more than welcome to attend. The gentleman who manages the property is expecting us, and has non concerns about the amount of attendies.

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who I haven't, and I look forward to seeing those of you who I have.

I've been to pit 11 many times, and would enjoy other collecting locations. Would like to meet other collectors. Thanks for welcoming others.

Is this at Fossil Rock, or at another location?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Sounds good to me sir! Im crossing my fingers......now.....

~Charlie~

I'll be there...little Mazda Protege with a sign in the window "Fossil Forum". I'll be getting there the night before, since i was going to collect in the park anyway, i would LOVE to meet others and check out other spots. Anyone interested, who is going to show up there, message me here and i'll respond pronto. Hi Abach292, fossilzed62, Rob Russel, etc.. I belong to several of the clubs here in St. Louis, both mineral and fossil. PEACE :)

Well since we're meeting at a gas station and not at a park, i figure we should get a head count on who is definitely going to make it. That way we won't leave too early if someone happens to be a bit late.

I am going:

~Fossilized6s

I am still unsure:

I can't make it:

Also i updated the OP with weather info to keep everyone in the know.

~Charlie~

Well since we're meeting at a gas station and not at a park, i figure we should get a head count on who is definitely going to make it. That way we won't leave too early if someone happens to be a bit late.

I am going:

~Fossilized6s

-digit (wild horses couldn't keep me away--a skull from Archaehippus blackbergi maybe--but not wild horses)

I am still unsure:

I can't make it:

Will be there with bells on--wait, that's only when hiking in bear country....

-Ken

Will see you all there! Very excited!

To clarify, would this be the shell at 725 E Division St. Coal City, IL?

I'll see you there at 9am! I'll be in a tan honda and a wearing a black baseball hat and a gallon of tick repellant :)

Will see you all there! Very excited!

To clarify, would this be the shell at 725 E Division St. Coal City, IL?

I'll see you there at 9am! I'll be in a tan honda and a wearing a black baseball hat and a gallon of tick repellant :)

I believe its Coal City exit 236 Johnson rd/113.

~Charlie~

We will be there,tall guy,short blonde girl, white hyunai sante fe. See everybody there.

Archived