Mazon Creek Hunt 6/7/14...and The Results.

fossilized6s

Thank you Mike.

I hope it comes sooner then later. But a few more trips this season there wouldn't be a bother either.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That's a beauty Charlie. Im assuming thats a pit 2 nod? I pulled this out of the south unit last weekend along with a few more small shrimp, another (not so well preserved) insect, some jellies, and ferns.

post-2411-0-54030700-1407114461_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-68738800-1407114551_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-84758500-1407114589_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-08520700-1407114627_thumb.jpg

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Wow Rob! Awesome finds! We need to meet up soon....like next weekend....haha. Most of my pit 11 nods are blank....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I'm up for next weekend! :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I'm up for next weekend! :)

So am I--though I'll be doing some hunting a little closer to home (but not much). Plans to head out with some other TFF members to try hunting for agatized fossil coral--something new and different for me (always about novel experiences).

That Macroneuropteris is stunning--and from the South Unit too. Love those shrimps as well. So far my South Unit nodules have only yielded one (large) Exessella and what appears to be a small shrimp (or more likely shrimp molt). Still hoping for more Pit 2 nods to pop and reveal some treasures (I have to try to keep pace with Charlie who is leaving me in the dust with his gorgeous finds).

If I don't do something stupid like forget my camera, I'll post a topic for my coral hunting outing this weekend. Good luck this weekend for you all and may the Nod Gods smile kindly on you both.

Cheers.

-Ken

• 4 months later...

Reviving this topic a bit with a few more pics from the nodules that have split recently. After returning home from an overseas coral reef survey mission after the Thanksgiving holiday I restarted cycling my nodules that had been sitting in a bucket in my garage for over a month. After a few more freeze/thaw cycles and a tap or two with a hammer to "motivate" the nodules to give up their goods, I have a few more things to show. Several of the fern fossils are identifiable as ferns but not well preserved. I still like them but they are probably not photo worthy. Several nodules were so cross-hatched with calcium infused cracks that they simultaneously split and crumbled into several chunks. I'm still reconnecting the puzzle pieces and fixing them up with some drops of CA glue.

Here are a few of the nicer ferns that have revealed themselves recently. Not as spectacular as some of the beauties that Charlie has unearthed but they are great reminders of how I spent my last birthday (digging a whopping big hole and lugging back lots of nodules).

post-7713-0-27153800-1418851213_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-46299100-1418851214_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-95941300-1418851216_thumb.jpg

The third one was an interesting shaped nodule that made sense once it split--overlapping fern pinnules.

-Ken

In addition to many fern pinnules (and fragments thereof) I seem to find thin strappy fossils which I am taking to be what are called Cyperites. Here is one of those nodules that popped recently:

post-7713-0-76537400-1418851484_thumb.jpg

When I split another nodule and saw a strip running through the middle, I figured this was another of the non-fern fossils. Upon closer look today when I gathered a few for photos I noticed that this one was a bit different. From the looks of it I seem to see a segmented body and setae making me believe this might be a polychaete worm. Though I have the Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna book I'm not real confident matching fossils up with the images in the book. If anybody can confirm that this is a polychaete and might hazard a guess as to a more specific ID I'd be grateful.

Here is the pair of split nodule halves:

post-7713-0-66675700-1418851791_thumb.jpg

Here is a larger image of one of the halves:

post-7713-0-84883600-1418851792_thumb.jpg

-Ken

Wow Ken! Great stuff!

I don't it's a worm. Im thinking more along the lines of Millipede. Very nice Braidwood fauna whatever it may be.

~Charlie~

Could very well be. I'd love to hear someone with experience with Mazon Creek fauna chime in.

My original goal was to get a fern pinnule (keep your expectations manageable and you won't be easily disappointed). After several unproductive trips to the area I reached out to Rob Russell on this forum who was generous enough to not only show me the ropes and take me to rich collecting areas but also put the word out so that several other members (Charlie and others) could join in. I'm a collector of experiences--the experience has always been more important than whatever quarry I happen to be hunting. The things I collect are souvenirs that along with photos help me to remember fond days on the hunt for something.

I've exceeded my expectations and now have some very pretty fern nodules to display. I'll likely sort out a few of the more visually pleasing nodules and make a display of them. My current thought is to make a visit to one of the craft stores and look for an appropriate shadow box. Much of my collecting memories end up being stashed in bowls (usually ones I've personally turned on my lathe). I have shells, trilobites, coins, shark teeth, etc. in wooden bowls on nearly every flat surface around my house. The nodules are best displayed as opened pairs rather than rubber banded together in a bowl. Charlie has made some great looking plastic displays for his nodules (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/50951-i-felt-inspired-to-create-a-couple-displays/) which are a great way to show them off. I'll likely tack pairs of my better split nodules to the back of a shadowbox frame and hang it on an empty space on one of my walls that is not covered with my photographs. If it turns out halfway presentable I may take a photo to share with the Forum.

Here is one last nodule that popped this afternoon and will likely be destined for display. When you get long finger shaped nodules like this, it doesn't take a genius to make an educated guess at what could be lurking inside.

post-7713-0-94573200-1418855271_thumb.jpg

Though my goal of experiencing Mazon Creek (productively) has been met I am now motivated to return to try my luck again. Charlie has shown what beautiful nodules can be saved from weathering by some dedicated hunting. My new goals are to broaden the variety of flora/fauna I have--which amounts to some nice fern material, a few jellies (blobs) and what appears to be something elongated with lots of legs (TBD)--and also to enjoy the company of others passionate about hunting for these nodules. I encourage others on this forum who haven't experience Mazon Creek to put it high on their bucket list and seek the guidance of the knowledgeable members of this forum to make their experience as rewarding as possible. After all, those Tully Monsters aren't going to find themselves. ;)

-Ken

Neat stuff, Ken!

The next time someone tells me to "go soak my nodules", I'll take it as friendly encouragement :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Ken,

I agree with Charlie that you have found a really nice (and rare) partial millipede! That is the first one that I have seen come from Fossil Rock in many years.

I would label it as Euphoberia sp.

Yay! My (highly undeserved) fossil luck seems to still be with me. Didn't find much but scored one rare find at the Thomas Farm site last April and now an uncommon millipede (or most of one) hiding among the ferns at Fossil Rock Park.

You know this is only going to encourage me. At least my wife puts up with (and often shares in my far flung passions and hobbies). Looks like I'll have to block out some time next summer to use visiting family and eating great ethnic foods in Chicago as a cover story for further collecting trips to the phenomenon that is Mazon Creek.

Made my night--thanks!! :yay-smiley-1:

-Ken

Very sweet piece Ken! Im jealous sir..... :)

~Charlie~

Very sweet piece Ken! Im jealous sir..... :)

Just returning the favor. You've had me reaching for the 'Green with Envy' emoticon often enough, Mr. Hunter of Tully Monsters. :)

Looking forward to hunting again with you next year so we can post some of our prizes and encourage others to make the trip to Mazon Creek and try their luck.

-Ken

Back up in post #132 of this topic (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46819-mazon-creek-hunt-6714and-the-results/?p=550892) I posted three nodules with some fern fragments in them. The first one (on the left) looks different from most of the more elongate linear pinnules that I usually find. It seems likely that this is a tip from a more compound frond structure. Anybody familiar with the flora of Mazon Creek wish to suggest a possible ID for this one? I have the Mazon Creek flora book but I also have an active imagination and I seem to be able to make it fit into multiple different classifications.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice. I see the that starting on page 72 of the Mazon Creek Fossil Flora book (a guide--and wishlist--that all serious Mazon Creek hunters should own). Now I can read more about this type. The first line of the remarks for this reads: "Alethopteris serli is very common" and that's usually a good sign. When I see the words "is rare" instead, I start questioning my thought process as the odds are not in my favor that I'd pull something rare (unless we're talking millipedes :)).

Thanks again RC for all the help.

-Ken

Wow. That millipede is great! Definitely worth all the digging!!

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to many fern pinnules (and fragments thereof) I seem to find thin strappy fossils which I am taking to be what are called Cyperites. Here is one of those nodules that popped recently:

attachicon.gifPC170022.jpg

When I split another nodule and saw a strip running through the middle, I figured this was another of the non-fern fossils. Upon closer look today when I gathered a few for photos I noticed that this one was a bit different. From the looks of it I seem to see a segmented body and setae making me believe this might be a polychaete worm. Though I have the Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna book I'm not real confident matching fossils up with the images in the book. If anybody can confirm that this is a polychaete and might hazard a guess as to a more specific ID I'd be grateful.

Here is the pair of split nodule halves:

attachicon.gifPC170023.jpg

Here is a larger image of one of the halves:

attachicon.gifPC170024.jpg

-Ken

Hey Ken, just going thru threads I havent visited in awhile and am just seeing your recent finds. Congrats on all of the plant material and most definitely the millipede...

Regards, Chris

Thanks. I'm in the process of organizing some of my better Mazon Creek finds to put in a shadowbox. As the nodules have matching halves I can't really just toss them in a bowl for display as they'd get unpaired pretty quickly (and they would likely get roughed-up as well). Decided that displaying them open-face in pairs mounted in a box might be a nice way to display them. Still working out the details but I'll likely take some photos along the way and post so others may consider it a basis for display of their Mazon Creek goodies. We've already seen Charlie's 'spoon rest' method of displaying his nice elongated fern nodules so I'm going to try to provide an alternative.

-Ken

Archived