Real Time Simulation Of A Carboniferous Forest (Wip)

phoenix64

Perhaps the attached figure illustrates why I asked about including references. The figure comes from Pfefferkorn et al. 1984 (Reconstruction and architecture of medullosan pteridosperms) and shows a variety of reconstructions, which all have been proposed for the same plant group. This variability is present in the reconstructions of many Carboniferous plants and, consequently, the size, shape and look of your version of the plants does, at least to some extent, depend on the references you consulted. There are references that have Sigillaria without the bifurcation, for example.

I really like the fallen log with climbing fern. When it comes to the rocky environment though, you might want to consider whether Lepidodendron would grow there. These plants are generally found in low-land, swampy environments, i.e. rather with their feet in the water than upon higher, dryer grounds. Perhaps you could add Walchian conifers to the mix for the latter environment?

post-2676-0-39017800-1424703988_thumb.jpg

Searching for green in the dark grey.

The most important site for me and really helped by the accuracy of its documentation.
I thank all those who contribute to make live this French forum and especially the fantastic work Bruno_Vallois.
Moreover, internet is a great source for keyword search. :)

Yes, the Forums Naturalistes is a very nice place. Some beautiful photographs there. Most by Bruno.

Love the new updates!!! Simply awe inspiring.

To create a whole World just amazes me. I wish i had the knowledge and resources to do such a thing.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Perhaps the attached figure illustrates why I asked about including references. The figure comes from Pfefferkorn et al. 1984 (Reconstruction and architecture of medullosan pteridosperms) and shows a variety of reconstructions, which all have been proposed for the same plant group. This variability is present in the reconstructions of many Carboniferous plants and, consequently, the size, shape and look of your version of the plants does, at least to some extent, depend on the references you consulted. There are references that have Sigillaria without the bifurcation, for example.

I really like the fallen log with climbing fern. When it comes to the rocky environment though, you might want to consider whether Lepidodendron would grow there. These plants are generally found in low-land, swampy environments, i.e. rather with their feet in the water than upon higher, dryer grounds. Perhaps you could add Walchian conifers to the mix for the latter environment?

Yes, your'e right. The lepidodendrons on the rocks and even the rocks itself are a stopgap... Since this is no endless world, we have level borders, and these must be formed reliably somehow.

I don't feel good with it myself. Although it looks good, it is weird, that the same large plant grows in swamps and on rocks with nearly no earth on it.

Walchian conifers are a good idea, thank you.

I did not find many references on a quick search, but I will look on the weekend.

Walchian conifers are a good idea, thank you.

I did not find many references on a quick search, but I will look on the weekend.

Some references on walchian conifers: 1.2

Figure 2 is from Florin 1952 (many more images in this work)

Figure 3 is from Lausberg 2002 (she compares with araucaria)

It should be noted these are all Permian though. I am not aware of reconstructions for specifically Carboniferous walchian conifers.

post-2676-0-59551200-1424767441_thumb.jpg

post-2676-0-59363000-1424767443_thumb.jpg

In fact, a variety of Araucaria (Araucaria columnaris), will reproduce the coniferous Walchia: it will be a good starting point for imagining the missing tree.

I'll make one, hoping to have time to implement it before the official release.

@paleoflor

Thanks for the pictures. :)

Edited by paolo

Jippie :megdance:

Never mind the release date... take your time. Its just about an alpha version and does not need to be perfect or complete.

And thank you for the references, paleoflor :)

• 1 month later...

image00.jpg

The first public alpha is online!

You can download it at http://extra-life.de/

Please keep in mind, that this is an alpha.

This means, that it is not complete and it contains some errors.

It's still a preview of our work in progress.

Please note, that you will need a pretty tough computer to run the simulation.

The minimum requirement is a 2.4 GHz Core I5 processor or similar, 4 GB of RAM and a 1GB 3D graphics card (at least Geforce 560TI or similar).

Thank you all for your feedback and ideas!

And now, have fun walking around in the carboniferous :)

• I found this Informative 1

Hi

Your work about Carboniferous Forest Simulation is fantastic . I walked in the forest, I looked canopy , lacking only the sound of dragonflies flying over my head, congratulations.

Best regards

Bruno

I just fell of the map :D

@ Paleoflor, who is that Lausberg you are talking about (same surname).

When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it is attached to the rest of the world.

-- John Muir

This is simply brilliant!! I love it.

A delta would be nice, with all of the Jellyfish, Tully Monsters, "Y" creatures, brackish sharks, etc. I think they/it would be an epic addition. As well as the planned Dragonflies and giant Millipedes.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I'd love to expand the explorable environment into the ocean, considering that most of the fossils I have are from carboniferous marine environments.

WhVUieh.png
My attempt at creating a museum and community center to help people find an interest in the world around them.

Nice deal I guess need to build that other computer that has been in the closet for 2 years now.

But still only a quad CPU and no 1 gig Video card though. :mellow:

I have the Ram though.

Maybe 528 or so. :wacko:

Thanks for making that.

Jeff

You could just try it out, Jeff.

The minimum specs does not always mean it will completely refuse to run below it.

In many cases, it will just become slow - probably too slow to be useable.

I even tried it on my ten years old single core 1.8 GHz 2GB RAM 128MB GFX card laptop and it ran ... well not exactly "ran", but every second, it showed an image.

1 FPS ;)

If you install it, there's a link in the start menu to start it with minimum settings.

Hmmm, the moon seems too far away for the Carboniferous. The moon is receding 3.8 cm per year, so it was about 11,400 kilometers closer back then.

I think it would be great of this and other simulations of prehistoric environments were made for virtual reality systems like the Oculus Rift.

You could just try it out, Jeff.

The minimum specs does not always mean it will completely refuse to run below it.

In many cases, it will just become slow - probably too slow to be useable.

I even tried it on my ten years old single core 1.8 GHz 2GB RAM 128MB GFX card laptop and it ran ... well not exactly "ran", but every second, it showed an image.

1 FPS ;)

If you install it, there's a link in the start menu to start it with minimum settings.

As my PC specs and OS (linux mint) are does not met your requirement, I saw your great work via youtube video.

I assume its so impressive awesome works and game engine performance.

if possible, Meganeura or something moving around are anticipated during the scene.

How do you make it work on a Macbook?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Thank you all for trying it out and for your feedback :)

@Scylla: Thats true, but I did not assume it was noticeable. Probably we can make the moon a bit bigger.

@Carcharodontosaurus: I will order my Oculus Rift Developer Kit this week ;)

But unfortunately I am relatively sure, that OR will require a completely new version. The current version was designed (willingly, and from the beginning on) to show the maximum possible detail on good pc's, at the cost of frame rate. So, on a very good computer, you will have a minimum frame rate of ~40... which is by far not enough for OR. On this device, you need to maintain a stable frame rate of at least 70, while even rendering the whole stuff TWICE (for both eyes), so the real frame rate has to be 140.

@comsuella2293: A meganeura is already in the works :)

@Stocksdale: I'm afraid currently there is no way to run it on OSX directly. You could try it out on bootcamp (with a windows installation). As long as your computer is strong enough, it should work (but is not tested). Probably it could also work in Parallels desktop, since as I know it has hardware graphics support, but I wouldn't bet on it.

This is literally one of the coolest projects I have seen in a long time. When you finish, I definitely would try to show it to some museums and also may be get some professional paleontologists who know the carboniferous period very well to look at it and verify it for accuracy.

Once again, awesome work. I am a programmer myself, so I really like to see stuff like this.

@aplomado, if you are, then I am too...

Edited by TNCollector