Fossil Id Francis Creek Shale? Ottawa, Il

Marjaton

Can you help me ID this? This was in a pile of grey clay from Ottawa, IL. The rock was taken as a yard ornament then over the winter it cracked open revealing this.

post-5638-0-96605100-1401034131_thumb.jpg

Oh my! That's an awesome fossil. It's the fin from a Pennsyvanian shark!

We thought it might be a fin. the other side has what appears to be flaked skin. Any idea about the rarity?

:faint:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'd say that's pretty darned rare. A HUGE score. And it looks like you not only have the cartilaginous fin skeleton but the soft-tissue outline. Outstanding!

Thank you to everybody who responded. I will contact some universities and see if they want it. Someone will if it is rare to have the soft tissue. that is not an outline of it , but a thin layer of something that is flaking away. I do have both sides of this fossil. Thanks again.

Niiiice! I didn't realize the Francis creek shale extended out to Ottawa. Cool find!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I am not sure that is a fish fin. To me it looks more like a section of calamites.

By pure coincidence, I was out collecting near Ottawa this past Sunday in a deposit of Pennsylvannian aged black shale. Also by coincidence, I collected a shark fin (will post pictures later) along with a few other miscellaneous fish parts.

Either way it is a nice find.

It could indeed be a bit of decorticated calamites bark; the bottom edge looks like a node.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived