"liberating The Specimen"

Precambrian Man

Just recently dug out some concretions and i am certain that a few of them contain whole ammonites. However,i did not want to attack them until i receive some suggestions on how to "free" them from their concrete like encasement for fear of destroying them entirely. Otherwise,i may just have to enjoy them as i found them [in their natural state] Any ideas would be welcomed thankyou

post-15180-0-82339000-1401142055_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRECAMBRIAN MAN

Just how deep is deep time?..... :unsure:

I would say freeze thawing them might be the safest way.

I know some professional preppers on here would just start prepping them. But it may be a big waste of your time....

I slowly chiselled all of my ammos out if they were in a concretion. But that's the "caveman" crash coarse. Mine luckily stood up to my mindless abuse. Haha

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I would say freeze thawing them might be the safest way.

I know some professional preppers on here would just start prepping them. But it may be a big waste of your time....

I slowly chiselled all of my ammos out if they were in a concretion. But that's the "caveman" crash coarse. Mine luckily stood up to my mindless abuse. Haha

Alright,then into the freezer they will go,idea on timing? intervals? I will try anything once,i mean almost anything Thankyou !

Hey Walley ... was that specimen so for in the rock that it wouldn't have frozen and thawed a million or two times already..?

good luck

Ed

Without knowing or having experimented with concretions,here is my feeble theory!.. some comes from fact and some comes from maybe a false hope?: Bruce told me that his 15,000 year old salmon/kokanee fossil concretions,once removed from their wet enviroment eventually cracked at the seams and he was then able to split them open perfectly. So i am associating dehydration with the release/separation between the fossil and the surrounding matrix. I do realize we are talking 2 different things[million year old versus thousand year old and diff minerals that make up the concretion]. Now that the ammonite concretion is removed from its constantly hydrated enviroment maybe that separation will become possible? and maybe the back and forth [ freezer to open air or heat] may facilitate that? but, thats a lot of maybes and just maybe i will have to wait a million years for that to happen? :D or maybe i will try the "caveman" approach, hammer and chisel?thanks Ed

Don't try to heat them after a freeze... the quick change can shatter them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Don't try to heat them after a freeze... the quick change can shatter them.

Regards,

Good point,thanks

First, wash them off so we can assess what you've got!

It almost looks like you've got most of the ammo showing there already. I'm afraid freeze/thaw might wreck the whole thing. I'd get someone to prep it out with the proper equipment if you don't have it yourself. (If not, patience is a virtue - I've got years worth of stuff still waiting for prepping simply because I don't have the equipment or the money to get it, and I don't want to hack at them with primitive methods, I have damaged too many already!)

Be prepared to glue a bunch of small pieces together, anyway. Maybe your matrix will cooperate better than mine, I dunno

First, wash them off so we can assess what you've got!

It almost looks like you've got most of the ammo showing there already. I'm afraid freeze/thaw might wreck the whole thing. I'd get someone to prep it out with the proper equipment if you don't have it yourself. (If not, patience is a virtue - I've got years worth of stuff still waiting for prepping simply because I don't have the equipment or the money to get it, and I don't want to hack at them with primitive methods, I have damaged too many already!)

Be prepared to glue a bunch of small pieces together, anyway. Maybe your matrix will cooperate better than mine, I dunno

Good advise,thanks,Mr Ed has some from the same site and i have seen them after he had worked on them.They look o.k.. I will have to talk with him a little more when i see him next.I think he said he chiseled them and yes,glue was part of the program. I had just thrown it out on the F.F. to get some different ideas? I do like it in its natural state, i would like it even more prepped out. The matrix looks very un-co-operative :(