Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cravepain

Fossil Collecting Laws And Crossing The Border

8 posts in this topic

My boyfriend and I will be heading to Ontario, Canada soon and after looking around on here I have decided I really wanted to check out the south end of Hungry Hollow. My question is, does anyone know the fossil collecting laws for Ontario? I do know many places don't allow you to keep what you find or they allow you to take only specific things. I have tried Googling it and haven't found an answer. Also, has anyone attempted to cross the border from Canada to the United States (more specifically, from Canada to Michigan) with fossils? I am worried all my work gathering them will be wasted if they are not able to come back over to Michigan.

Thank you. :)

- Nikki

Hi Cravepain,

Ontario is one of the less restrictive Canadian provinces. In speaking to one of the Paleobiology curators for the Royal Ontario Museum, you can take a fossil out of the province without a permit, if it is valued under $500 Canadian. We Eurypterid hunters do this very often. Crossing at the Peace Bridge should be no different from crossing at Sarnia or any other bridge. The Customs agents sometimes refuse passage of rocks covered with mud. You may want to check where you hunt at Hungary Hollow; parts are private land and not park areas. Good Luck and Happy Hunting! :)

Thank you so much for a quick reply; it helped a lot!

In regards to Hungry Hollow, I read that the parking on the west road of the south quarry was good. I have planned to stay pretty close to that end. I assume that area is not private property since others have mentioned hunting there as well but I will be sure to check before heading that way just in case. :)

Does anyone know the rules for collecting and transporting fossils out of Quebec? Planning to visit there later this summer.

If the fossils are clean(ish), I've never heard of any problems. The border guards won't allow dirt/mud across, but rocks seem to be fine. As for HH, it is now posted as no trespassing. That being said, I've never heard of any collector having a problem still going in, myself included, but be warned that there is a chance you could be asked to leave if any of the higher-ups that own the quarry are around. This would apply only to the pits themselves though, not the riverbanks.

I have crossed the border into Michigan countless times with fossils without a problem. I prefer to use the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing rather than Detroit. The guards at Port Huron are use to people crossing with fossils from Arkona. In 40 years of crossing I have never had anything confiscated.

crinus

You are not allowed to remove vertebrate fossils from Canada. This technically is not a problem in Ontario since pretty much everything you have any chance of finding is invertebrate or plant. I have heard that you are not allowed to take more than 50 pounds out at one time but I have never heard of it actually being enforced. One time I had issues coming back into Canada with 2 buckets of fossils from Penn Dixie that the Canadian border guard did not thing were clean enough. Eventually he let me take them as I was not going anywhere near a farm. They seem to be worried about the importation of pests. The reality was that the underside of my car had more American mud on it that day than the fossils.

Thank you for all of the help. :)

Being there are now No Trespassing signs posted I am not sure if I really want to risk getting into trouble for being on private property. With that being said, does anyone have suggestions for other locations in Ontario? I came across this website but am unsure if these locations are any good or not.

http://www.fossilsites.com/STATES/ON.HTM