Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

a damselfly, the ebony jewel wing, Calopteryx maculata

I think. The critter in this shot is purple to my eye. In attempting to verify the ID I viewed several online photos of the animal. They all appeared "blue" and the accompanying descriptions listed "blue" as the color scheme (in addition to the black eyes and wings). I process all of my photos with Photoshop Elements; so I went back to the original, out of camera, image to see if I had inadvertently monkeyed with the color balance. Nope, that damsel is purple in real life. So, I don't know if it's a color variant, not mentioned in the write-ups I saw; or if it's a different critter. Whatever, it is a beautiful, dainty wonder.

post-8873-0-04208300-1437503734_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Excellent photos on this thread.

This post would be best described as a nature

Moment image. No art on my part. Captured with a dirty lens i6 iPhone after a large coffee.

The greatest thing is the ability to get a quick shot with a multipurpose device.

Buteo lagopus I assume. Strangely the roughed legged hawk tends to summer in the arctic.

There are many raptors here on the Delaware river. The most eastern tip of Pennsylvania. This guy had been picking off anything that ran out of the piles of stumps and weeds that were being cleared from an old industrial site. The rabbit is a much larger prey than this hawk is used to but the dispatch techniques sufficed.

post-4721-0-54540500-1437510025_thumb.jpg

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Rough-legs are really neat! A great big buteo with little bitty feet (mostly, they prey on voles).

When did you take this shot? In the east, I usually only see them in the winter, coastally.

post-423-0-43504600-1437513325_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That was the surprising part of my day,picture taken around 1030 this morning.

This site is visited by many birds during their migration.

We started construction here in February so maybe the food source was too good to leave?

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. At first thought was a juvenile eagle till I saw it up close.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Here's a shot after it struggled to fly with the rabbit about 75 meters to the edge of construction.

post-4721-0-15228100-1437590502_thumb.jpg

a damselfly, the ebony jewel wing, Calopteryx maculata

I think. The critter in this shot is purple to my eye. In attempting to verify the ID I viewed several online photos of the animal. They all appeared "blue" and the accompanying descriptions listed "blue" as the color scheme (in addition to the black eyes and wings). I process all of my photos with Photoshop Elements; so I went back to the original, out of camera, image to see if I had inadvertently monkeyed with the color balance. Nope, that damsel is purple in real life. So, I don't know if it's a color variant, not mentioned in the write-ups I saw; or if it's a different critter. Whatever, it is a beautiful, dainty wonder.

attachicon.gifDSC_7040acz.jpg

It looks pretty blue to me, spare for a possible purple tinge between the antehumeral stripes on the thorax :) Edited by Jesuslover340

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

It looks pretty blue to me, spare for a possible purple tinge between the antehumeral stripes on the thorax :)

Thanks for looking. I just looked at the post again and it does now strike me as "blue." I am on a Chromebook laptop, so now I am suspecting a subtle difference arising from my PCs monitor's rendering. It's an interesting phenomenon to me. I'll put the laptop side by side with the PC and see If I can notice a difference. Of course it might just be "old eyes."

Edit.

Yep. Back on the PC now and the damselfly is purple. This monitor must be throwing more red into the image.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

That's why professional photographers or authors of picture laden field guide books use devices to calibrate their screens for color and gamma settings. The software that I use to calibrate my two 27" flat screens are currently reminding me that it is time for a recalibration. Check out products like the one listed below if you want to calibrate and synchronize the look between multiple computer screens.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/display-calibration/

Then use Photoshop to make the damselfly pink with green spots and red racing stripes. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

And if you want to print something (ink) that looks good on a computer screen (light), you have a whole 'nother set of concerns. :blink:

Thanks Ken, I was vaguely aware* of monitor calibration; but had never given it any notice. Of course it makes entirely good sense, if one wishes to produce photos, realistically depicting the world.

Oh, and great auction, congrats on the fine outcome.

* Some unkind individuals have opined that snolly is "vaguely aware" in general.

Vague awareness is my happy place...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

First, I want to say that photographing owl's in perfect lighing and somewhat close is almost impossible. There is a family of Great Horned Owl's that live in the hood. By chance I had the good luck to photo them training the younger to fly but it's landing really sucked----Tom

post-3940-0-14639500-1437835707_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

First, I want to say that photographing owl's in perfect lighing and somewhat close is almost impossible. There is a family of Great Horned Owl's that live in the hood. By chance I had the good luck to photo them training the younger to fly but it's landing really sucked----Tom

attachicon.gif033.JPG

How undignified! :P

attachicon.gif033.JPG

That is funny. I love baby birds. I have a suet block right out the window and 10 bird houses in the back yard. Constant entertainment.

attachicon.gif033.JPG

Congratulations!!!

"You see an owl at daytime and the next female you see is sure enough the bride for thee." - Briscoe Darling, The Andy Griffith Show

Congratulations!!!

"You see an owl at daytime and the next female you see is sure enough the bride for thee." - Briscoe Darling, The Andy Griffith Show

Saw three that day, how does that work----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

You'll have to move to Utah.

Head for the hills ;):D

submerged stump

post-8873-0-59500300-1438034035_thumb.jpg

Leaf Beetles...

attachicon.gifCalligrapha.jpg

...Calligrapha serpentina.

Beautiful photography----Tom
  • I found this Informative 1

"Don't Tread On Me"

Just returned home from Surfside Beach, S.C.

One afternoon we hadsome neat looking thunder storms over the ocean.

I captured these from the video I took of the storm.

post-2806-0-37607800-1438047287_thumb.jp post-2806-0-39406400-1438047343_thumb.jp

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

submerged stump

attachicon.gifDSC_7106az.jpg

What a fantastic image that is, Snolly!

Wonderful!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great pictures all. That juvie owl is hilarious, the leaf beetles are mahvelous, and that underwater stump strikes me as a mysterious entrance to wonderland. I hope Snolly got out of the water before the storm struck.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Every morning I have a cup of coffee and watch the sun climb above the tree line. The sunrise sometimes just demand a photo, the colors are beyond beautiful----Tom

post-3940-0-08055200-1438191379_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-49769800-1438191391_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-63683200-1438191392_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"