Birds Survived Mass Extinction That Wiped Out Dinosaurs Because Of Their Larger Brains

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2009) — The Cretaceous–Tertiary mass extinction 65 million years ago may have wiped out the dinosaurs, but those that survived – the ancestors of today’s birds – may have done so because of their bird brains.

Find the article HERE!

Guest bmorefossil

hmm so if they are saying that the brain is bigger than they thought then they are saying that their brain has not grown as much as first expected.

Ehh, I don't buy it. They're not looking at the whole picture. Birds aren't the only thing that survived. Basically, aside from dinosaurs, mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, ammonites, and a few other groups of invertebrates, everything else survives.

The KT extinction is very odd, and extremely selective; aside from birds, everything else that survived was particularly dumb (not sure about early mammals); herps like snakes, lizards, and amphibians are more or less untouched, and they're usually the first to die off.

The KT extinction is a very complex extinction that can't be explained by catastrophic 'magic' asteroids/comets, large scale volcanism, etc.

Bobby

Guest Nicholas

I thought the same thing, I suspect that this new evidence will be cleared away in a pile of rubble when people point out other evidence. I personally feel it is a very weak assumption.