Large Bone Fossil Or Rock?

judygriffin

post-15452-0-35458200-1401495520_thumb.jpgI live in the middle of Texas. A friend gave me this "rock" or fossil that he says was dug out of the fossil gravel pits nearby. Please tell me if you know what this is. [post-15452-0-48530800-1401495656_thumb.jpg

post-15452-0-03691400-1401496790_thumb.jpgpost-15452-0-62322700-1401496800_thumb.jpgpost-15452-0-72023300-1401496810_thumb.jpgit is most definitely not metal. it is rock. I am sorry these pictures don't do it justice. I will try to up load a couple more that are better. It IS possible that it was man made, by the water cannons that they use to quarry the fossil gravel. But I would rather think it is a lumbar bone or something cool like that from a dinosaur.

Edited by judygriffin

To me it looks a lot like a piece of smelt, although I don't know how that would end up in a sedimentary rock quarry

Reminds me of a meteorite. Will a magnet stick to it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Heavily weathered limestone, me thinks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like a large piece of sandstone to me.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'