What Kind Of Shark Tooth Is This After All

PRK

Back, many many years ago, I made my first trade, a bunch of sh th from France. All were relatively average except this one. The guy, from france said it was uncommon, possibly eocene, and It's the only one from that trade i have left. Anyone have any comments?

post-9950-0-87660300-1401510316_thumb.jpg

I'm not a shark tooth guy but it resembles a palaeocarcharodon or perhaps one of the 'transitional' auriculatus. Definitely a tooth worth holding on to.

If you don't like it, i'm interested, thank you. When we say that it is nice, we say that it is well preserved. There are things to quickly forget.

The first Eocene C. Auriculatus I have seen from France - nice acquisition.

Oh yes--- it is very thin and delicate, if that makes a difference!

C. auriculatus is usually a pretty robust tooth. Can you post an edge view?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This frenchman was visiting the US, and had an avid interest in fossils. He did say it was an unusual tooth and possibly, could be Eocene?-- my recollection could be wrong. If this pic needs any more revision, let me know. As I not a sh th person help would be appreciated.

post-9950-0-23372300-1401754152_thumb.jpg

Well, it doesn't have the gnarly compound serrations of a Paleocharadon, but it is pretty thin for a 'ric.

Must be a thin 'ric.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Palaeocarcharodon orientalis has more irregular serrations,with the base of the root that has U shaped notch at center.

On this tooth the root is incomplete, worn, and has lost her thickness, not so nice, the center of it too.

But the crown is ok for me. Little Ric can be rather thin. It's useful to see all the views of the tooth.

post-11962-0-44989500-1401803787_thumb.png

post-11962-0-41192600-1401803796_thumb.png

post-11962-0-95920900-1401803833_thumb.jpg

post-11962-0-64736000-1401803889_thumb.jpg

post-11962-0-79428700-1401815651_thumb.jpg

Because you're so nice, those little Rics came from the earliest Lutetian, Vexin, northwest of France.

Archived