Spring Fossil Trip - Part 2

Shamalama

Continuing from my last post, Sunday had me up bright and early heading towards Gamebridge, Ontario and the exposures of the Ordovician aged Verulam formation. I met Malcolmt at the quarry and we spent the better part of the day searching some recent blast debris as well as the "honey hole" area that he and Kevin had found all their goodies last year. Sadly, much of the material that they were searching last year has gone to the crusher now so the pickings were thin. I did manage to find a nice enrolled Flexi which Malcolm said he could clean up. I was worried it was incomplete but Malcolm says it came out pretty nice.

post-1408-0-42210000-1401572370_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-68163400-1401572548_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-79969900-1401572550_thumb.jpg

We then went down to the third level to look through some of the weathered piles where some local collectors often find good stuff. Malcolm managed to find a Starfish in some black shale but I had to content myself to the large Prasopora colonies and brachiopod plates that I love from this quarry. Some of the finds:

IMG 0820

IMG 0760

A typical large Prasopora bryozoan colony (sometimes called "gumdrops")

IMG 0768

This is a cool fossil of a Prasopora colony that grew on a gastropod shell (Hormotoma sp.). The shell is long gone but the mold is still there thanks to the bryozoans.

IMG 0883

IMG 0882

Actually, Gastropod molds were very common that day. Here is a new genera for me that I need to ID yet.

IMG 0758

Trilobite cephalons were fairly common too. On this hashplate there is a cephalon from a Thaleops (or Nanillaenus)

IMG 0755

IMG 0756

A couple of Cerarus type cephalons that need to be cleaned off a little.

IMG 0764

IMG 0766

And of course there were some Flexicalymenes

IMG 0761

Then there is this mystery specimen. It looks echinodermish to me, any ideas?

IMG 0884

IMG 0885

IMG 0886

IMG 0887

My feet were really aching from climbing around on slopes at Arkona and rock piles at Gamebridge so I called it an early day. I need to get in better field shape!

Monday I drove back into the US and had an fairly uneventful border crossing. The guard who questioned me was asking about some of the rocks and fossils I had and their ages. He was amazed when I told him some were from 450mya and others were from 390mya. He pointed out that I had more than the limit of Canadian beer I should have (I had 2 1/2 cases whereas I can bring just one back with no fees) but he sent me on my way with no further fuss. This was a very good thing as I had some buckets with loose "dirt" from Arkona. In reality they were eroded rock but I've had issues in the past telling them that so I just say "rocks" now.

I spent the rest of the day at the Penn Dixie site which was in preparations for their "Dig with the experts" the following weekend. The club that runs the site (The Hamburg Natural History Society, Inc.) had brought in an excavator to help expose and lift blocks of the Smoke Creek trilobite beds as well as improve some of the site drainage. I wasn't allowed into the prepped area but I could go anywhere else on the site and search the large mounds of stripped overburden and leftover split pieces that surrounded the pit. A view of the area:

IMG_20140512_094037_643.jpg

It was on those piles around the edges that I made my best finds. First was a two inch long Phacops rana lateral poking out of the face of a rock. It should prep out nicely.

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

Next is a piece of what I believe is bone from a fish. The jury is still out and maybe some additional prep work will reveal more.

IMG_20140512_132640_249.jpg

IMG 0463

IMG 0462

IMG 0461

IMG 0460

IMG 0459

IMG 0457

IMG 0454

IMG 0453

Other than that it was the typical Trilobites and Brachiopods that captured my attention.

Some of the Phacops rana I found....

IMG_20140513_131006_217.jpg

IMG_20140513_130955_194.jpg

IMG_20140512_100743_072.jpg

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

Here is one that Carmine left behind but I brought home.

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

A rare pygidium of Dipleura sp. shows a lot of dots but the shell is smooth. I'm used to finding them with no shell and the dots are columns infilled with mud.

IMG 0639

IMG 0640

IMG 0641

IMG_0642.JPG

This is one of two monster Greenops sp. pygidiums that Carmine and I found.

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

And then there are the brachiopods....
A couple of Spirifer consobrinus

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

This is a rarity: a clean, undistorted and articulated Mediospirifer audaculus

IMG_0566.jpg

Then there is the common, but ridiculously difficult to extract intact, brachiopod Protoleptostrophia perlana

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

I found this nearly flat Paleozygopleura sp. when a rock split. As I was field trimming the piece the whole gastropod popped off!

IMG 0638

IMG 0636

Last but not least is this Pelecypod that I think is a Palaeoneilo sp.

IMG 0633

IMG 0634

Towards the end of the day a gentleman named Phil came into the site. He was out on a business trip to the area from California and had wanted to visit the Penn Dixie site. I showed him around and helped him find some stuff to split which he was overjoyed with. Phil remarked that they don't find these kinds of fossils in California where he is. He gets to Sharktooth Hill and the Cambrian Trilo localities but stuff like horn corals, brachiopods and Devonian trilobites are harder to come by. He spent and hour or so splitting some left over pieces of the Smoke Creek Trilobite bed and picking up brachiopods from the Bay View coral layer. Before he left I gave him a couple of large horn corals that I'd found at Hungry Hollow in Canada since Penn Dixie does not have many large intact examples available. I wrapped my finds up and headed to the hotel.

Tuesday I was to meet with Carmine (Xonenine) at Smoke Creek to hunt the type locality for the bed that everyone is after at Penn Dixie. Mother Nature, however, had other ideas as she pushed some heavy downpours and thunderstorms over the area and the creek was too flooded and fast moving to work in. You couldn't even see the rocks in the stream bed because of all the brown silt the flood waters were carrying. Instead we headed back to Penn Dixie to try our hand at exposing the Smoke Creek Bed ourselves in one of the drainage ditches. By the time we got to the site the rain was letting up some but there was stil plenty of water draining off. We actually got lucky as other parts of NY were hammered with the same rains and severe flooding occurred wiping out homes and businesses.

Carmine and I set to work at a section we thought would be productive. It was heavily weathered so the shale was very easy to remove and search but no trilobites. We worked until we got down to the Bay View coral bed where I was happy to collect Brachs. Carmine decided to check out another spot that he'd worked before and had better luck while I continued playing in the mud. In the meantime Jerry, the site manager, showed up with a busload of kids from a local school. They stayed over in another area of the site picking up corals and brachiopods and then left after an hour or so.

Around lunchtime we walked back up to the cars to find that Carmine's divers side window had fallen off it's track and was lost to the interior of the car door. This was bad for him as he still needed the car for a few more days until he got a replacement. We decided to work another couple of hours before Carmine had to leave so he could take his car door apart to fix the window. Despite the setback, Carmine was as happy as anyone I've ever met to just collect fossils. It was good to spend time in the field with him again and watch him dismantle a rock layer in search of Trilobites. We exchanged some Coral fossils (mine were from Arkona and his were from locally with a few cut and polished sections) and he was on his way. I hope that he was able to get things fixed enough until he picked up his next car.

I'm almost done and some of the best is yet to come while collecting with Mikeymigs but I will save that for the next post...

Thanks for reading!

-Dave

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Excellent report, as always, Dave!

Carmine is the best to collect with - and generous to a fault.

Glad you had a good, productive time!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Excellent report my friend. We have to meet up again soon to give you your Flexi. I actually hunted today with Carmine and Quarryman Dave at Penn Dixie. Carmine is the best!!!!!

I think it looks like fish to me.

Still no clue what the mystery fossil is, hopefully someone here will know perhaps Kevin or Crinus.

terrific reports Dave :) you know, it is a measure of what a treat it was to go collect with you that I didnt remember the car window falling and the impending repair till I read it again. :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Congratulations on a great trip report and wonderful finds. I especially liked the Protoleptostrophia brachiopod. Would love to find one that good. I am planning a trip to the Buffalo area in early July. Your trip report helped psych me up. Thanks and can't wait to see the third installment.

Is there any fossils left there? :D

Penn Dixie has plenty of fossils for everyone! :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Excellent report my friend. We have to meet up again soon to give you your Flexi. I actually hunted today with Carmine and Quarryman Dave at Penn Dixie. Carmine is the best!!!!!

Maybe I'll be able to make it up there in late June or early July. Gonna be hot, I know, but should be worth it. :)

-Dave

terrific reports Dave :) you know, it is a measure of what a treat it was to go collect with you that I didnt remember the car window falling and the impending repair till I read it again. :)

Carmine, We've only been able to meet up twice in three years but collecting with you is like being with a old friend. Hope all is well with you! :)

-Dave

Congratulations on a great trip report and wonderful finds. I especially liked the Protoleptostrophia brachiopod. Would love to find one that good. I am planning a trip to the Buffalo area in early July. Your trip report helped psych me up. Thanks and can't wait to see the third installment.

You really should get over there. Worth the 6 hr drive for me from Philly!

-Dave

Nice stuff Dave. Your JD gastropod is Fusispira nobilis. Your Thaleops piece is the pygidium, not a cephalon and your mystery ehinoderm is just that, a mystery. Those types of things turn up from time to time, I have a few, but nobody really knows what they are. At least some of them may be crinoid tegmens according to a couple of respected collectors.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Kevin,

Thanks for the ID help. Malcolm also said the Thaleops piece was a Pygidium but the two segments look very similar to each other that I get them mixed up. I should have looked for a slight spine off the cheek like in the other specimen I found a few years back.

I looked it up and a tegmen is the "lid" of the crinoid where the mouth and anus were located. The arms of the crinoid would have attached to the outer edges of the tegmen and surrounded it.

-Dave

Thanks Gery! Once I get things sorted I should have some interesting items for you to review. :D

-Dave