Top 3 In 2008

JohnJ

I've finally decided what I think are my best finds in 2008. Number 1 and 2 were easier to choose, and I finally decided on Number 3.

Number 3 was found in mid-July on a trip with danwoehr. I picked up an algae covered piece of Eocene sandstone and spotted 5 or 6 shark teeth showing in the matrix. It turned out to have a lot more...over 80 teeth and bone fragments!

post-420-1233119954_thumb.jpg

(More in my GALLERY)

No. 2 was found the day before No. 3. My canoe and an invitation from Dan put me on a path that intersected with the largest Texas Archaic knife I have ever found!

post-420-1233119772_thumb.jpgpost-420-1233119827_thumb.jpg

post-420-1233119866_thumb.jpgpost-420-1233119914_thumb.jpg

I found No. 1 on the last day of August. In an attempt to find some new ammonite locations, I found teeth! Big teeth...attached to a partial Tylosaur skull! The prep has been slow, but I have some new tools that should speed things up in the future. (More in my GALLERY)

post-420-1233123428_thumb.jpgpost-420-1233123472_thumb.jpg

post-420-1233123503_thumb.jpgpost-420-1233123538_thumb.jpg

Now, let's see your best 3 finds or acquisitions in 2008... Deciding may be tougher than you think. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

yeah, i remember each of those three moments from my perch here atop a balustrade at the forum. (finally worked in "balustrade", hah!). those were three moments when i said to myself, "self, you need to stick a magnetic tracking device on this guy's vehicle..."

yes, deciding is tougher than i think. i'd have to go with my three least worst acquisitions, but it'll take me a while to find them in the piles of junk. get back to ya...maybe. if i'm not out in a coupla days, somebody throw some junk food into the junk pile and water it a bit...

2nd is a small mammal Hyopsodus sp? pre molar. From the Ypresian, Blackheath Beds of Abbey Wood, England.

Approx 2.25mm wide. 4pic's. The matrix for this, and the jaw below, was collected in 2008 but the specimens were found in it a couple of weeks ago.

post-45-1233149349_thumb.jpg post-45-1233149363_thumb.jpg post-45-1233149377_thumb.jpg post-45-1233149389_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

1st a small, partial mammal jaw Hyopsodus sp? with 2 teeth, again from Abbey Wood. Found at the same time. Field of view is 10mm.

post-45-1233149729_thumb.jpg post-45-1233149740_thumb.jpg post-45-1233149752_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Guest solius symbiosus

I was fortunate enough to find two crinoid gardens last year that have produced, thus far, around 60 crinoids. Unfortunately, I haven't prepped many.

I have one piece that has 5 crinoids on it, but it needs to be prepped to bring out it's true beauty, so I submit these:

Reteocrinus sp

post-179-1233153495_thumb.jpg

Iocrinus sp. (?)

post-179-1233154116_thumb.jpg

I still haven't prepped any of the trilobites.

Triarthrus eatoni.

post-179-1233154271_thumb.jpg

I have I found over 30 Pychnocrinus, but all need to be prepped, so I left them out.

Guest bmorefossil

hmm this is a hard one, top thee and I have so many fossils that could go there. Well I think first and second are given its just the third spot that is being the pain.

In third we have a tie between the serrated giant thresher and the seal molar there are some othere things but I dont think they are really worth a top 3

Second would go to my 4 foot baleen whale jaw, every trip I find myself walking to the block trying to get that glimpse of bone where the rest of the jaw might be

In First with no contest is the Hexanchus Gigas, only the second one ever from the formation (the other one the museum has).

It was a strange year for me. I only made it out to the Kansas chalk once, and I was only able to look for about 2 hours. I was busy working (ie traveling) a lot this year, which enabled me to look in a lot of areas that I don't normally get a chance to check out. I fossil hunted from North Dakota to Texas, and as far east as New Hampshire (yes, the granite state), I would say one of my best accomplishments of the year was going on the Waco Trip and getting to meet a few people on here. I had a great time, and got to meet a lot of people I only knew from this site. As far as fossils go, here are my top 3.

1. My first echnoids found on the Waco Hunt (Finding with new friends helped this one make top dog)

2. Ray tooth from Galviston Island (Probably the strangest looking tooth I have in my collection)

3. My biggest Ptychodus teeth from the Fort Hays Limestone(Possibly the earliest known documentation of the species)

4. Honerable mention: North Dakota leaves (found with the entire family)

post-40-1233156536_thumb.jpg

post-40-1233156574_thumb.jpg

post-40-1233156629_thumb.jpg

post-40-1233156665_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

awsome finds Bill

Cheers, The Tertiary Research Group, holds a dig there once a year. Everything over 0.5 mm has to be kept and checked.

KOF, Bill.

Beautiful specimens so far...let's see more...please.

Steven....no pictures?

Steven....no pictures?

My top 3

1) Isurus Planus 2" STH my largest

2) Hexanchus sp. only my 4th that complete

3)2 small arrowheads scallorn & perdiz I had to include both

post-1010-1233190114_thumb.jpg

Well... I have to do three for both artifacts and fossils... so, here are my top 3 artifacts from '08.

<coughing and gagging while climbing back to the seated position and wiping tears from his eyes> Pretty good, Nate.

Guest bmorefossil

Steven....no pictures?

well i had been taking pictures of the snow all day yesterday so the camera's battery was out of power so ill take pictures right now

Guest bmorefossil

well my program wont let me edit the pictures any so i had to crop them. Well I forgot all about the bison tooth I found in Delaware, dont think anyone has one of them other then myself but I dont think its good enough for #3

so here are the top 3

Tied for third is serrated giant thresher and seal molar

post-17-1233201044_thumb.jpg

post-17-1233201020_thumb.jpg

Second: Baleen whale jaw

post-17-1233201109_thumb.jpg

First Hex tooth

post-17-1233201138_thumb.jpg

Well... I have to do three for both artifacts and fossils... so, here are my top 3 artifacts from '08.

OMG those are the most beautiful points I've ever seen. You lucky lucky boy! :faint:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Man, this is a real tough one! I'll have to go with the ones below but I reserve the right to change my mind at a moments notice, as thats what I've been doing since I saw this post!!! :)

1st place would have to go to the rooted 5 1/4" Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus theropod tooth

2nd to one of the great Green River fish I found this year, Diplo is pictured although I may like the one prisci on my double plate better (tough call)

3rd I guess is a tie between a lot of finds including these 2 Tyrannosaur teeth both approx 2-2 1/4" and basically in perfect condition!

At the beginning of the thread, I left out the warning for those with heart conditions or lightheadedness....sorry. :faint:

Its been a slow year for me in the fossil field, But I have a few goodies to show for it.

#1 is my Kamp Ranch Pearl, in the matrix, might be my favorite fossil inmy collection

#2 Largest Ptychodus tooth in my collection, Ptychodus mammillaris ( i think thats the spec.)

#3 is a small Mosasaur tooth still in the matrix.

Weirdest find of 08, is the human tooth from Post Oak Creek... :faint:

Justin

PS, Im sitting on Interstate 20 right stuck in traffic. They shut the highway down for a nasty wreck, so what else is there to do except drain the battery on my laptop and look at fossils. B)

post-221-1233246458_thumb.jpg

post-221-1233246524_thumb.jpg

post-221-1233246587_thumb.jpg

post-221-1233246632_thumb.jpg