Shark Jaw Help?

Rivers

I found this, surprises of surprises, in a thrift shop and could hardly believe it. Especially when they told me it was real. After examining it I'm pretty sure it is but I have no knowledge of sharks. Most of what I've collected, fossil and bones in general, are plants or small fish for fossils and animals such as deer, otter, raccoon, birds etc in bones. So obviously I have no clue about sharks.

Don't even think this what you'd call a fossil but again, I'm no expert. Thought I'd come here for help after internet searches kept sending me back. Anyone interested in helping? I can provide further photos and hopefully by then I can get an actual camera and not my phone's camera. Still, they should be visible enough.

What I'd like to know is if this is really real and if it is what species, is it protected, and is it a fossil or simply bone? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll thank you ahead of time! The paper in the original picture is regular printer paper if that helps for size. And of course I apologize for my likely idiotic statements and assumptions. I really have no clue about sharks.

post-15463-0-24680600-1401608041_thumb.jpg Front of the jaws.

post-15463-0-10453000-1401608050_thumb.jpg This is what I believe is the bottom jaw.

post-15463-0-01693500-1401608058_thumb.jpg What I believe is the top jaw.

post-15463-0-30669400-1401608073_thumb.jpg Inside of bottom jaw.

post-15463-0-64820700-1401608080_thumb.jpg Inside of upper jaw.

post-15463-0-33562900-1401608095_thumb.jpg Back view of the jaws.

Hi,

It is a recent shark jaw. It looks like Prionace glauca (latin name) but I don't know its geographical distribution. Your pics don't permit me to tell more. In my Prionace glauca jaw, I have 29 upper teeth and 28 lower ones.

Coco.

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It's a recent/modern specimen and looks like an adult Blue Shark. Coco got it first. :)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Alright, thank you both! And I'm sorry if I broke rules posting a non fossil. I just had no idea what it was! The help was very appreciated. :)

No rules broken. :D Look around our site and enjoy yourself.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Modern comparative specimens are highly relevant to the study of fossils; thank you for posting this :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!