Need Advice In Purchasing Black Water Dive Gear

mrieder79

I'm getting dive certified so I can get at more shark teeth. I'm planning on buying my own equipment and I need some advice. I've heard that the regulators of alternate air sources can become clogged with mud and stop functioning so I was wondering how other black water divers deal with that. Also wondering about other necessary equipment. I appreciate any responses.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

If you have not become certified yet, you need to be thinking about the extra training and experience needed for black water diving. You will surely need to be comfortable solo diving, using alternate air sources, diving in swift current, and how to react in any emergency on the bottom. Open water certification will not teach any of this, except emergency procedure. Nitrox, navigation, and night/limited vis are all classes you should think about taking.

Prepare yourself with lots of hours in better viz before you jump in one of those coastal rivers. You MUST be panic-proof first.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

There are alternate air source attachments that hook on to your BC in the form of a "boot" that the mouth piece fits into. This encompasses the entire mouth piece and provides very good protection in preventing foreign matter from getting into and fouling the second stage. In an emergency, the alternate air source is easily pulled out with a quick jerk. I use one on my rig. Shop around for one, they really are great accessories.

I do agree, further training would be advisable for zero visibility conditions and it helps to have a very calm mind set in such situations. Uneasiness and panic do not and can not play a part in underwater diving. I hope you enjoy your classes. You are about to enter a whole new world of wonder. Have fun!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks for the advice. Caldigger, could you possibly post a picture or link to the boot you are talking about?

Sure, here ya go. Sorry I can't recall the manufacturer of this product, but if you search around internet or dive stores, I'm sure you can find one.

As you can see, it totally encompasses the mouth piece and keeps any debris from entering the second stage. It was very popular with some of the golf ball divers I did business with in Florida. Hope you find what you're looking for. Post some pictures of your finds.

post-12286-0-12704400-1401903143_thumb.jpg

post-12286-0-06216200-1401903164_thumb.jpg

post-12286-0-60636600-1401903209_thumb.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks Caldigger, that's great. It looks like you can use the ring to hook it to your BCD. Is that how people use it? To hook it to their BCD and to keep debris out, then give it a good tug if you need it? That's a great bit of equipment there. Thanks.

Hopefully I'll have some finds to post soon.