Need Help With Mazon Creek Id

shorty

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and kind of new to fossil collecting in general.

The concretion below was found in the Mazonia South Unit, Pit 11. (Right next to a Tully Monster!) :D

It's about 3 1/2" long with a curving central ridge that runs the length from its D shaped 'head'.

I can't figure it out at all. It doesn't look like any of the jellyfish I've found, and I can't find anything similar in my books. My family's best guess is "Baby Alien," but I'm hoping you all can come up with something else!

The darker picture is lit from the side, so hopefully you can see a little more or different detail.

post-1206-1233161128_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1233161156_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1233161169_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Kim

Guest bmorefossil

welcome to the forum, well it looks like you got something there im not so great with Mazon Creek fossils so I have no idea

I think what you have there is an Essexella asherae jellyfish. The white D is typical of this jellyfish. The skirt doesn't have very good detail but there are enough wavey lines to indicate the presence of a skirt.

crinus

Essexella picture

I agree with Crinus. Click in the link, and you could see how the animal was. Remember that in your fosil, the skirt is fold, and not very well preserved.

A very good hunt! Quite rare specimen! ;)

Essexella picture

I agree with Crinus. Click in the link, and you could see how the animal was. Remember that in your fosil, the skirt is fold, and not very well preserved.

A very good hunt! Quite rare specimen! ;)

Thanks for all the replies!

I was really hoping it would be something a bit more unique than Essexella asherae! Oh well!

(N.AL.hunter - my kids are still on your side! ;) )

This Essexella looks really different than the others I've found. I wasn't looking for it to be folded.

Do you think it's laying in the rock folded over on itself, kind of like the 1/2 jellyfish below ?

post-1206-1233240546_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much!

Kim

Archived