Sponge Coral?

Loren Vannest

Sponges and corals are two different things. I actually think this is some kind of coral, rather than sponge. Sponges of the paleozoic (like the rocks of Michigan) usually look more layered rather than what we think a typical "sponge" looks like, with all the little holes. My bet's coral, but I am happy to be told otherwise!

It's neither coral nor sponge I'm afraid, most likely a piece of pumice

Agreed.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

pumice? It looks like midwestern dolostone. Have you guys information regarding its weight? The holes look like they continue into the specimen. Also pumice I've seen has bubbles and no dense portions. Am not speaking with authority here of course.

Non-organic, me thinks. Pumice vs. weathered dolostone, I know not, but it is neither coral nor sponge.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Holes are too varied in size for a coral and no septa in sight. It looks like porous chunk of limestone to me.

Holes are too varied in size for a coral and no septa in sight. It looks like porous chunk of limestone to me.

ditto

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

am with Herb and Erose but would suggest the variation in density causing the differential weathering has an organic source (perhaps undefinable)

• I found this Informative 1

maybe some thing to do with a cave.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 4 years later...
On 6/4/2014 at 1:18 PM, 4circle said:

It's neither coral nor sponge I'm afraid, most likely a piece of pumice

Pumice is not typically found in Michigan and is very light. You can put it in a bucket of water and if it floats it's pumice. If not I'm leaning toward tumbled limestone. The random pattern of holes don't appear to be sponge or coral.

I just see this older topic.
I'm not conviced that is pumice. It might be a bioeroded limestone pebble, with borings made by sponges. Entobia has a temporal range from Devonian to present days. :)

post-15486-0-09850200-1401854264.thumb.jpg.18bd5d7488ad4ce00aaff12ff43ee647.jpgp1160457ablog5.jpg.f7b836d911fe8d6720c675af37becded.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

I just see this older topic.
I'm not conviced that is pumice. It might be a bioeroded limestone pebble, with borings made by sponges. Entobia has a temporal range from Devonian to present days. :)

post-15486-0-09850200-1401854264.thumb.jpg.18bd5d7488ad4ce00aaff12ff43ee647.jpgp1160457ablog5.jpg.f7b836d911fe8d6720c675af37becded.jpg

comparative picture from here

Thanks for this info. @abyssunder I didn't know sponges could bore. I just picked up 2 similar pieces on the beach and I see a colony of Bryozoans in one and tube worms in the other. So your saying these marine organisms make the holes in the limestone?

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

colony of Bryozoans in one and tube worms in the other. So your saying these marine organisms make the holes in the limestone?

No, bryozoan and tube worms make their own "shell". These holes (in OP's piece) were made by sponges or worms (most likely).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.