Yomynameishannah

Any Sites In The Pasadena Area?

Yomynameishannah

Hi all!

I'm just wondering if there are any sites in the Pasadena area. Specifically not on private property would be nice :)

Foogoo

Hi all!

I'm just wondering if there are any sites in the Pasadena area. Specifically not on private property would be nice :)

I live in the area and I've yet to encounter any potential fossil bearing formations in the foothills/mountains. It's mostly fractured and faulted granitics. There may be potential towards the valley but everything is so developed now I wouldn't expect much. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong!

curiousfinds

HI. I live right down the proverbial road North of you.

Would be interested in getting together for searching the area sometime.

caldigger

Hum, something tells me it's a bit of distance "just down the road" between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Some 580 miles give or take. I live in the exact center between the two. Same distance to either.

I have heard there are Pleistocene fossils to be found in north Ventura area, but I couldn't tell you where.

Virgilian

My research suggests that you should try the Santa Clarita Valley area of Los Angeles County (northwest of Pasadena). Explore the following known paleontological producers that are apparently particularly productive: Middle Miocene Mint Canyon Formation (leaves, gastropods, pelecypods, and terrestrial mammals--but, don't collect the vertebrates unless you have a permit, of course); Miocene Modelo Formation (fish, plants, foraminifers and other micro-invertebrates, and pelecypods); and the Upper Pliocene Pico Formation (a large and well preserved molluscan fauna of marine gastropods and pelecypods).