Rock Pick Help Please!

MFowler

Does anyone know where I can find a rock pick hammer in the DFW area? I've checked the local HD and Lowes (I'm in Plano) but they don't have any pointed tips in stock. I can order one online, but am heading out tomorrow to NSR and would like to run out and get one today but I can't find anywhere that has them "in store"... any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mark

Call these guys; they have a Dallas warehouse for will-call pickup.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I imagine the bricklayer (chisel point) hammer you can get an HD or Lowes would be just as useful? I have both and I never really see much of an advantage to one or the other unless I am prying layers of shale or something in which the chisel is better.

-Clayton

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever"

- Carl Segan

Agreed, but I'm hoping the pointed tip will be better at cracking open the geode I see at the NSR. I can't seem to find a battery powered circular saw to take out there...that would be ideal. I'm open to any suggestions though.

Thanks everyone,

Mark

there are small lithium powered hand held circular saws (4") , Still think a good metal chisel and masons hammer will do the trick to bust geodes.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

With geodes I have opened in the past I used the larger striking side of my hammer so any hammer would have worked. I just tapped them many many times as I slowly rotated it on a hard surface, trying to keep my taps along a specific axis. Eventually they open up along that axis (most of the time). But those geodes had relatively thin "shells". If they were a lot thicker, that method may not work I guess.

How did the trip go?

-Clayton

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever"

- Carl Segan

• 3 months later...

I have both types, and I find the chisel tip is better for splitting layers and the pointed pick is better for trying to pick in perpendicular to the surface plane. For example, if there are no friable layers, I stick with the pointed pick.

I prefer a cast iron pipe cutter for cracking geodes. Striking geodes typically destroys the fine structures contained within.

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.