Another Oligocene Insect

PRK

So fine and delicate; splendid preservation!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Tipula is the crane fly genus, did you collect it at Florissant?

Yes indeed... interestingly, in scans of some older publications on the net where the text has been converted by OCR into a pdf document, the software doesn't always get the characters right. I've seen Tipula transposed to Titula in a few on-line documents... Wood's "Illustrations of the Linnaean genera of insects (1821)" for example.

Beauuuutiful specimen!

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

That "tipula" is from my new insect locale. I don't collect Florissant since 1972.sorry---oops yes, should be TIPULA

Edited by PRK

That "tipula" is from my new insect locale. I don't collect Florissant since 1972.

Please tell us where this one was collected. You don't have to disclose the GPS coordinates, but a general locality would be interesting for context.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

At my latest insect locale

I love fossil insects

Edited by PRK

At my latest insect locale

I love fossil insects

I only asked because the geographic context is important information. You simply could have answered with something vague like "central Colorado".

Sorry to trouble you with such pesky details!

This cranefly(tipula) split in two perfect positive and negative halves, and I was sooo happy and exited. But---when this shale is wet or even damp, it is extremely fragile. When the shale dries it hardens right up, and I had set these pieces aside to dry and harden.

But, when an interested friend dropped by, I was very excited to show her, and picked up the one side to show it off. it was still damp, and under its own weight, cracked right through the lovely fossil on to the floor.

In my exitement of having found such a fine insect fossil i had forgotten how fragile these pieces really were until completely dry. Luckily the broken pieces were relatively salvageable. At least the counterpart turned out undamaged. But im afraid the broken half will never look the same. And sooo, another hard lesson learned

Edited by PRK

That is really wonderful preservation! Thanks for posting.

-Clayton

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever"

- Carl Segan

Here's another crane fly from the Oligocene paper shales of the Ruby River Basin in SW Montana.

Very interesting! emo71.gif

post-4301-0-75353500-1402258023_thumb.jpg

Sweet bug! Tipula?

Yours?

Did you prep it?

1) Yes, it's a Tipula.

2) Not my fossil.

3) Didn't prep it.

Ok, that's three questions answered... does that entitle me to one non-dismissive response to the simple question I asked previously?

PNW !

I don't think I would lay claim to that prep work either

Edited by PRK

• 2 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2014 at 0:26 PM, PRK said:

"Titula"

post-9950-0-73898300-1402169184_thumb.jpg

Nice crane fly, indeed. I'm beginning to get the fossil insect bug, I must say.

Great to go back over some of these older posts. This one caught my attention, 'cause I just recently ran across a link to a visit to Ruby Valley in southwestern Montana to collect fossil insects from the Late Oligocene Renova Formation (around 25 million years old). See that page over at http://fossilinsects.colorado.edu/blog/inhs-fossil-basin-expedition-montana-2015/ .

That's where I found the following image of a crane fly (genus Tipula) the crew collected from the Renova Formation at Ruby Valley, Montana.

7.jpg