Here's A Few Cretaceous Fossils That Have Me Stumped

Mtskinner

Thanks Scylla, its one of my favorites as well. It hangs in my office and sparks conversations from everyone that sees it. Here's one that isn't sharp and pointy but was found with the others. I figure this is either coral or a shell of some sort but I'm hoping one of you guys/gals will know. Let me know your thoughts, and as always thanks for the comments!

I think this one is a very worn rudist. I really like how this fossil looks.

Yup, Mr. Rudist rides again!

There seems to be no end to his disguises...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Did anyone ever decide about the fish in the jaw? Not only cutting edges but seem to be slightly curved in the 2nd end view.

So basically I have half of a rudist? Which is a form of coral, right? From what I read after looking it up it is also late Cretaceous so that puts it dead in line with everything else I find.

BW, yes and no, the teeth in the jaw are definitely curved...and oval in shape. I'm leaning towards x-fish after comparing them to the other known examples I have.

Rudists were actually weird reef-building clams. Really weird.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Rudists were actually weird reef-building clams. Really weird.

I don't think I would've put those two together by comparing pictures! Weird but also pretty neat now that I know what it is! I'll post a few of the other bivalves we find tonight!

Here's a few pictures of some snails and shells that we find. As with a lot of my fossils I have no clue what the correct names for these are.

post-13898-0-41335100-1403315439_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-70244100-1403316039_thumb.jpg

Amazing finds

Thanks, I've had a blast hunting them over the years...it's getting harder every year to find the good ones though!

• 3 months later...

I have a few new finds to post that I have no idea on. Any help would be appreciated! This first one appears to be a gar type, fish mandible. It's just under 2-1/2" long and a 1/4" wide.

post-13898-0-65697300-1412219938_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-25117000-1412219959_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-35627200-1412219984_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-46351800-1412220006_thumb.jpg

Hi,

On your 1st pic, it isn't a fish mandible, but a selachian prickle / spine. I can't help you more, I can't give you a name, but I think you will have answer.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I agree with Coco that it is a dorsal fin spine, probably from a chimaera or a hybodont shark. Very nice find.

The dorsal fin spine matches very closely those found in NJ in similar age deposits which are attributed to Ischyodus bifucatus. But it could be from another chimaeroid instead. You probably have found the distinctive crushing jaw plates from chimaeroids at the site.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

i agree with your original statement on picture 3 that the jaw with the three teeth is a barracuda. i have two in my collection that look very similar.

Here's a smaller vert that's unknown. It's approximately 2" long and 2" wide.

I think that's a mosasaur vert. Sweet collection, sir. I wish I had been clued in to fossils when I was in S. Alabama.

Thanks for the id on the spine and the comments... I had no clue. I'm assuming that this one is one as well. I've been calling it a gar/needle fish mandible also.

post-13898-0-27241800-1412286296_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-95951200-1412286335_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-14874900-1412286349_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-26400800-1412286368_thumb.jpg

I think that's a mosasaur vert. Sweet collection, sir. I wish I had been clued in to fossils when I was in S. Alabama.

I feel your pain...we used to chunk the larger stuff, there is no telling what I would have had I kept everything weve found over the past 15 years! Heck I just started keeping everything a few years ago!

Archived