Chinese Crinoid And Dragonfly(?)

Han.T

Hi all, I am interested in acquiring this crinoid from an old shop in Chinatown. The store owner told me he brought it out of China decades ago but does not know the ID. My own amateur guess is Traumatocrinus but can anyone else give some insight on this? Below are a few pictures of the specimen, which measures about 1 ft(12") in length. I will detail the Chinese dragonfly in the next post.

Edit: forgot about the measurements!

post-4611-0-66911400-1402232621_thumb.jpg

post-4611-0-87091700-1402232635_thumb.jpg

post-4611-0-30836000-1402232644_thumb.jpg

Edited by Han.T

The Singaporean Fossil Collectors Group, come join us here today!

I also have a fossil dragonfly(?) from China as seen in the photos below. The specimen measures a little over 4 inches in length. My closest guess is Sinaeshcnidia cancellosa but again there is not much information I can find on Chinese dragonflies and hope someone here could help me. Thank you everyone for looking at my posts!

post-4611-0-62321900-1402234507_thumb.jpg

post-4611-0-03723500-1402234514_thumb.jpg

post-4611-0-81679500-1402234519_thumb.jpg

post-4611-0-95797500-1402234526_thumb.jpg

Edited by Han.T

I can't name either piece, but I gotta say, "those are very nice"! Is the dragonfly in a concretion? The crinoid is certainly worthy of a center piece for a display. Thank you for sharing this, very nice indeed!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I cant help with ID's either but fabulous pieces! That crinoid is beautiful... :)

Very nice.. I wouldn't hesitate too long before making the purchase, it would be my luck that it was gone when I went back for it. Such detail.. Hope it is still there when you go for it..

Ed

Hi Han,

The genus spelling is off by a letter (should be Sinae-sch-nidia) preventing you from finding any useful results in the literature. There are numerous references to research and apparently the correct name is Aeschnidium heishankowense which was synonymized from Sinaeschnidia cancellosa (Hong, 1965) Ren et al., 1995.

Hong, Y. (1965)
A new fossil dragonfly, Sinaeschnidia Hong gen. nov.(Odonata, Insecta).
Acta Entomologica Sinica, 14(2):171-171

Ren, D., Lu, L., Guo, Z., & Ji, S. (1995)
Faunas and stratigraphy of Jurassic-Cretaceous in Beijing and adjacent areas.
Geological Publishing House, Beijing, 222 pp.

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thank you all for your kind comments, and Scott for once again providing excellent sources for reference! I am still trying to confirm the ID of the crinoid, it seems there are two types of matrix that specimens of Traumatocrinus hsui have been found preserved in(black and brown)...

beautiful specimens

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks