Jesuslover340

Thank you very much! I learned quite a bit from this post! :)

Northern Sharks

Great post Gerry. Very informative

JohnJ

Great analysis and images, Gerry. Your topic has been Pinned.

Shamalama

Ok, now that I can SEE the differences and understand why the names are different I think I may be on board the Eldredgeops bandwagon. Thank you for putting this together. Did you modify the pictures so that all the specimens had the same color and tone? That certainly makes a difference.

GerryK

Ok, now that I can SEE the differences and understand why the names are different I think I may be on board the Eldredgeops bandwagon. Thank you for putting this together. Did you modify the pictures so that all the specimens had the same color and tone? That certainly makes a difference.

I coated the trilobites white with ammonium chloride to increase the contrast. The blue color is do to the lighting and camera

mikeymig

The labels in my display case seem to be in order. ;) Thank you for taking the time to post this Gerry. I'm glad to see clarification on why my favorite trilobite changed his name.

mikey

post-7129-0-90061000-1402349548_thumb.jpg

Ludwigia

Thanks for this Gerry. I just accepted the change in name without really going into it deeply, but now I can see and understand the difference.

Malcolmt

Thanks for this, one of the best posts on the forum.... Now to start going through all my Eldredgeops to see what exactly I have

GerryK

The labels in my display case seem to be in order. ;) Thank you for taking the time to post this Gerry. I'm glad to see clarification on why my favorite trilobite changed his name.

mikey

The name change of Phacops rana to Eldredgeops rana may not be the end of the story. At the fossil picnic I showed you Basse's (2006) monograph on the phacopids, there were a lot of genera you could see in the tribe Geesopini that look like "rara." A revision of the Geesopini could result in Eldredgeops becoming a junior objective synonym of an another genus and have another name change.

Kane

Wow, excellent post! Also there is a difference not just in the inflation (or rise) of the glabella, but the articulation whereby Phacops has a distinctive "big pores" aspect. Also of note is the relation between the thorax segments and the cephalon. Note how the thoracic section extends into the cephalon region between the E. Millert and E. Rana. Were there any distinct differences in pygidia?

gcaruso

This is extremely helpful! Thanks for the post.

Nandomas

Thanks for posting this, very informative :)

Lmshoemaker

I coated the trilobites white with ammonium chloride to increase the contrast. The blue color is do to the lighting and camera

Is the coating permanent?

Auspex

Is the coating permanent?

Not at all; it dusts right off.

Carcharomimus

Very interesting! That helped me, I was also confused about phacops and eldregeops, but from your picture I'm happy to now being able to confirm that my trilobite cephalons are from eldregeops ( rana crassituberculata?), as it was identified when I bough them! From lucas county Ohio

I have a small fossil consisting of two eldregeops cephalons on the same rock, very close from each other, and one is huge, the other is only the size of the eye of the big one! Honestly, I think I can't see what make it different from eldregeops milleri, they share so much similarities, well for my eye at least hehe.

post-17801-0-21421600-1426172830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carcharomimus

sseth

Thank you for sharing this information.

Fred

My compliments for this post, you nailed it! Good to see some of the valuable german language literature featured here.

billheim

Thanks JohnJ for pinning this. I would not have seen it otherwise.

GerryK, this post makes all the difference. Kudos! (and thanks)

Edited by billheim

GordonC

Had Trilobites of New York out three times today. A magnificent , exemplary work.

GordonC

BrokenTrowel

Great post! Thank you for taking the time to add it!!

Question: In looking at the Phacops I have on hand, can you clarify what a "file" is when referring to the eyes? I assume row? but in what direction is the grouping made to form a file? Or am I totally off on this?

Edited by BrokenTrowel

GerryK

Great post! Thank you for taking the time to add it!!

Question: In looking at the Phacops I have on hand, can you clarify what a "file" is when referring to the eyes? I assume row? but in what direction is the grouping made to form a file? Or am I totally off on this?

A file is a vertical row of lenses. In the picture below a file is out lined in red

post-7992-0-45696300-1448816639_thumb.jpg

BrokenTrowel

Thank you very much!

no1billiard

Gerry, the middle line of 3 photos marked as E. milleri are actually 3 photos of E. crassituberculata.  What were formerly the two subspecies of P. rana became species level to Eldredgeops per Struve. 

milleri or crassi.jpg