My Fossil Display Unit...thing...whatever

megabass22

So i recently made my fossil display look a bit nicer, and here´s the result, i took inspiration from some of the displays here on the forum (even if mine isn´t nearly as good or creative as some i have seen here), anyways, here it is:

Also, the text in it is all in Swedish, which is pretty obvious considering i live in Sweden.

So here´s an exterior view:

Atop of it sits a cast of a Nedoceratops skull, i don´t think i have seen many casts of this species (for some reason, the "casters" decided to be a little artistic and made the 2 holes in the frill into 4 holes, i still wonder why):
Here´s the "Dinosaur" shelf (expect this one to get more full as time progresses):

Here´s the "Reptiles and Sharks" shelf, i know that there´s empty space on this one, mainly due to me not having too many shark and reptile fossils, maybe i´ll get my hands on something Pterosaurian or Plesiosaurian...

And the final shelf, with Invertibrates, all my bought ones aswell as my "best" self-found ones:

Great start and it will fill up in time. Heres a link to some display stands that you might want to use for your specimens. You can call them with your order and tell them where you live and they will let you know your total.

www.jule-art.com/Product.asp?Category=534

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Your selection of a display case demonstrates that you are an individual of discriminating tastes and a highly developed aesthetic sense. Only a person with a keen intellect and well-developed eye for design would select such a cabinet!

post-8873-0-53238600-1402318189_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I love your display! Is it lighted?

I especially like that you used pictures with your names because it is instant visual recognition.

Take what you want and leave the rest, a couple of thoughts if you want to jazz it up a bit... :)

Mirror in the back or below the fossils can really jazz them up.

I have umpteen little display stands but am now opting for more nature medium to display my fossils on - maybe it is hash plates, maybe it is sand, maybe twigs intertwined. Sometimes a little mirror set in sand so that it looks like a pond is just what it needs.

Color can really make stuff POP! An inexpensive way to get color on the back is Mylar gift wrap (we can usually get 4 sheets for $1 at the dollar store). Another way that will give you levels as well is fabric. Pick your favorite color that compliments the fossils, say a rich blue or blue green velvet for the inverts (I'm thinking sea here.) stack some misc. boxes under it and float your fossils on the fabric - also very inexpensive.

If you have kids around, sometimes choosing your favorite dinosaur toy and putting it in the dino part is a great way to shout - "Hey, dino fossils here!"

But if your display is lighted from the top, most of this won't work. :(

Great display though! Thanks for posting it!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Great start and it will fill up in time. Heres a link to some display stands that you might want to use for your specimens. You can call them with your order and tell them where you live and they will let you know your total.

www.jule-art.com/Product.asp?Category=534

mikey

I will see to it filling up :D , might have the oppurtunity to get to the munich show this year.

I do already plan on buying some display stands, i know a local company that does some nice ones.

Your selection of a display case demonstrates that you are an individual of discriminating tastes and a highly developed aesthetic sense. Only a person with a keen intellect and well-developed eye for design would select such a cabinet!

attachicon.gifDSCN0357az.jpg

I spent a few minutes looking through the display cabinets in my local IKEA, but of course only one of this quality holds up :) .

I love your display! Is it lighted?

I especially like that you used pictures with your names because it is instant visual recognition.

Take what you want and leave the rest, a couple of thoughts if you want to jazz it up a bit... :)

Mirror in the back or below the fossils can really jazz them up.

I have umpteen little display stands but am now opting for more nature medium to display my fossils on - maybe it is hash plates, maybe it is sand, maybe twigs intertwined. Sometimes a little mirror set in sand so that it looks like a pond is just what it needs.

Color can really make stuff POP! An inexpensive way to get color on the back is Mylar gift wrap (we can usually get 4 sheets for $1 at the dollar store). Another way that will give you levels as well is fabric. Pick your favorite color that compliments the fossils, say a rich blue or blue green velvet for the inverts (I'm thinking sea here.) stack some misc. boxes under it and float your fossils on the fabric - also very inexpensive.

If you have kids around, sometimes choosing your favorite dinosaur toy and putting it in the dino part is a great way to shout - "Hey, dino fossils here!"

But if your display is lighted from the top, most of this won't work. :(

Great display though! Thanks for posting it!

You can put in a light, which i haven´t done yet (and probably won´t due to the fact that a wire would have to go in a very weird direction (in this room anyway), which wouldn´t look so good. I might have to incorporate those mirror ideas now that i´ve heard them, sounds cool! I´ll probably put one of my "Papo" dinosaurs (though inaccurate, they do look really good) in the cabinet. Thanks for all the ideas!

If you do make some changes that you like, please show us on this thread!

We all get ideas from one another and "a picture is worth a thousand words..." :)

I did a dino diorama with my dino bones that is kind of cute for less than $5. It is sitting outside in my dino garden now... That could be a cool idea in your dino part or even just a jungle background of appropriate scale.

post-9628-0-59070600-1402333229_thumb.jpg

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

That is pretty cool :) , i probably won´t go "that far" though, but cool nontheless.

If you don't want to wire the cabinet, but occasionally would like to highlight your fossils for say company, try puck lights. They are battery operated lights that have an adhesive back so you can stick them anywhere. Goo Gone will get rid of any residue (vinegar and water too for that matter) if you want to move them. A couple at the top or in individual sections if you choose to opaque out one or more. :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

• 2 months later...

I am yet to incoporate any of your excellent ideas, but i have changed things around a bit with the addition of new fossils.

The first change i did was to remove all the labels, and make some significantly smaller ones (otherwise the fossils wouldn´t fit), though they still have all the information on them, some are even updated with new, correct id´s.
I also obviously added some new fossils to the bunch.
Also, i split the "Invertebrates" shelf into two: The "Trilobites" shelf (currently the shelf with least specimens, but it´ll fill up) and the "Cephalopods" Shelf. I removed the big "Dinosars", "Reptiles and Fish" and "Invertebrates" signs, and i think it looks much better now.
The next thing i´ll do is probably getting my hands on more trilobites, buy some stands and maybe incorporate some of Bev´s ideas, but for now i´ll focus on expanding the collection first and foremost.

Nice. Southern Sweden has some nice Orthocones and Trilobites.

The animal silhouettes on the labels are also a nice addition.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite