New Garden And Clay Fun For Kids

lissa318

I posted before how I like to make non living gardens and today I finished a prickly pear garden with some cactus clippings (so somewhat living, lol) and random finds from our Florida trip. It will probably change a couple times before I'm done. I scattered seeds from a prickly pear fruit a couple inches under the sand in addition to the clippings on top. Hopefully between the two something will root and grow? There's bone, mammoth frags, petrified wood, teeth, turtle shell and other random things tossed in there. Will probably add more bone pieces after I sort through them all. :)

post-8801-0-51242900-1402348174_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

And also wanted to share this clay shark we made right before our trip. Noelle had fun pushing the worn and broken teeth in to decorate it and it turned out pretty cute I think. :)post-8801-0-53094200-1402348757_thumb.jpg

This is one of my previous non living gardens. :)

post-8801-0-40023900-1402350592_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

Very cool! Looks like something fun I can try doing with my daughter, we are always looking for ways to display/use our finds!

Very cool! Looks like something fun I can try doing with my daughter, we are always looking for ways to display/use our finds!

Ha! I love that shark Lissa. Great job!

Thanks guys! I'm always trying to think of creative things to do. If you know of any please share! I've seen some pretty cool sharks done on posterboard with glued shark teeth. Member cowshark sent me a pic of one I'll have to share on here. My daughters only 4 so that much glue can turn sloppy real fast... lol. The clay worked awesome for her. I want to try a stingray but the tail would break too easily. Might have to attempt posterboard for that one unless I come up with something else. :)

Melissa

My daughter is 3 so the idea of glue in anything other than stick form terrifies me, so I love the idea of the clay. I love finding ways to get her involved in the same things I enjoy and its nice to have some projects beyond just her rock collection and coloring books. Other than playdoh I haven't worked with clay much, is that a particular type? And did you just fire it in the oven? Thanks for the great ideas!

My daughter is 3 so the idea of glue in anything other than stick form terrifies me, so I love the idea of the clay. I love finding ways to get her involved in the same things I enjoy and its nice to have some projects beyond just her rock collection and coloring books. Other than playdoh I haven't worked with clay much, is that a particular type? And did you just fire it in the oven? Thanks for the great ideas!

Crayola makes an air dry clay that is great for kids. This shark we did with the terra cotta color. Just be sure to do it on a hard plate or something so you can move it afterwards. It bends pretty easy until it starts to harden. And you dont want to make it too thin or it would break real easy. :) Another idea for you is get one of those stepping stone kits and have her stick some of her pretty rocks, excess fossils, shells or whatever she wants in it. She could push her little handprint into it as well. The molds are reusable and I think you can buy a bag of just the cement mix pretty cheap. I bought one for Noelle but we haven't done it yet. I'll post a pic on here after we do. Please feel free to add any pics of stuff you and your daughter on this topic as well. I'd enjoy seeing them! :)

I think I am going to hit up the local craft store tomorrow and pick some of that up and give it a try! I have been wanting to do one of those stepping stone kits in general just to get a foot/hand imprint, adding some fossils into it is a really great idea! She just getting to the point were she really enjoys those "dig" kits where you scrape, chisel and brush away a block of plaster to reveal a plastic dino skeleton or some mineral/fossil samples and that is about as close to a relevant "crafting" project we have gotten! Its nice to see kids enjoying the heck out of the same things we grew up passionate about:

post-11267-0-38182700-1402587240_thumb.jpg

I think I am going to hit up the local craft store tomorrow and pick some of that up and give it a try! I have been wanting to do one of those stepping stone kits in general just to get a foot/hand imprint, adding some fossils into it is a really great idea! She just getting to the point were she really enjoys those "dig" kits where you scrape, chisel and brush away a block of plaster to reveal a plastic dino skeleton or some mineral/fossil samples and that is about as close to a relevant "crafting" project we have gotten! Its nice to see kids enjoying the heck out of the same things we grew up passionate about:

attachicon.gif20140612_100127.jpg

She is super cute! I absolutely love the picture. :) I have not tried one of those "dig" kits with Noelle yet? I will be getting one now... lol. Thanks for sharing that!

I started my granddaughter when she was 4 yo making simple wire wrap jewelry of her fossil finds. Those nimble little fingers and sharp eyes make beading easy for her - broken jewelry can be a great source for beads and finds. When she entered kindergarten she got lots of kudos for her knowledge of fossils and for her fossil jewelry that she made herself - really helped her self-esteem. Shark teeth are the simplest to make into jewelry.

I love your idea of sand gardens. These can be a wonderful teaching tool on separating say gastropods from cephalopods, etc. Plus learning shape and colors.

That in mind... What the children learn in the way of Latin from this hobby can really boost them when it comes to their ACT/SATs. "Pod" = foot "Gastro" = stomach - Gastropod is stomach in foot. "Ceph" = head Cephalopod is head in foot. And of course there is your own gastrointestinal tract. Hope there aren't too many misspellings here. :)

PS The boys LOVE breaking rock! And an engraver is a pretty safe prepping tool to get them feeling competent with power tools - a girl's best friend... :D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I started my granddaughter when she was 4 yo making simple wire wrap jewelry of her fossil finds. Those nimble little fingers and sharp eyes make beading easy for her - broken jewelry can be a great source for beads and finds. When she entered kindergarten she got lots of kudos for her knowledge of fossils and for her fossil jewelry that she made herself - really helped her self-esteem. Shark teeth are the simplest to make into jewelry.

I love your idea of sand gardens. These can be a wonderful teaching tool on separating say gastropods from cephalopods, etc. Plus learning shape and colors.

That in mind... What the children learn in the way of Latin from this hobby can really boost them when it comes to their ACT/SATs. "Pod" = foot "Gastro" = stomach - Gastropod is stomach in foot. "Ceph" = head Cephalopod is head in foot. And of course there is your own gastrointestinal tract. Hope there aren't too many misspellings here. :)

PS The boys LOVE breaking rock! And an engraver is a pretty safe prepping tool to get them feeling competent with power tools - a girl's best friend... :D

Great stuff Bev!!! Thanks for the comment. Love you're fossil garden as well btw! :)