KansasFossilFinder

Red Hill And St. Clair Fossil Sites?

KansasFossilFinder

Later this month I am going to Pennsylvania and heard about the Red hill Fossil site but i wanted to know how to get permission and where exactly it is. I am staying near hershey PA but i will be willing to drive a few hours to get to the site. I also wanted to know if you can hunt at st. clair still and where that is too. Thanks in advance.

Edited by KansasFossilFinder

Auspex

Red Hill collecting access is, I believe, only by museum-organized trips. Last I heard about St. Claire, it was open to the public.

Fossildude19

PM Sent about St. Clair Directions. ;)

That is my understanding of both sites as well.

Regards,

squali

I highly recommend the Red Hill Fossil Museum located down the road from the Site.

If you Google the above there is contact info. The museum is by appointment only but you may find

out about scheduled trips and piggy back on their permit, which may require a fee.

The site is significantly elevated and steep so public access is prohibited.

Anyway it is worth the effort to reach out. The museum really does an excellent job of

curating the site.

Mattalic

Hello!

I am a complete forum newbie and just joined - but very excited.

I was also hoping to get some up-to-date information regarding the St. Claire site. I visited there about a decade ago when I was doing a class at F&M and remember the ferns being spectacular. Any directions/protocols for the site would be much appreciated (I don't want to get shot at :)

Also, if anyone knows of some Kinzers outcrops, I would love to hear about them. The fruitville quarry, at least to my old knowledge, was built upon and sold by F&M.

Fossildude19

Hello!

I am a complete forum newbie and just joined - but very excited.

I was also hoping to get some up-to-date information regarding the St. Claire site. I visited there about a decade ago when I was doing a class at F&M and remember the ferns being spectacular. Any directions/protocols for the site would be much appreciated (I don't want to get shot at :)

Also, if anyone knows of some Kinzers outcrops, I would love to hear about them. The fruitville quarry, at least to my old knowledge, was built upon and sold by F&M.

PM Sent with St. Clair Directions. ;)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Mattalic

Didn't get a chance to thank you publically for the information Fossildude19. Thank you very much!

Fossildude19

Didn't get a chance to thank you publically for the information Fossildude19. Thank you very much!

You're welcome. :)

Just let us know if you find anything. ;)

Regards,

Nebfossil

For you wondering if the Fruitville quarry was built over, it was not and at this moment I’m on the side of the gate with the no trespassing signs 

Plax

that chain link fence in the housing development was there in the mid 70s. A local college or university owns the site but don't remember the name.

Fossildude19
1 hour ago, Plax said:

that chain link fence in the housing development was there in the mid 70s. A local college or university owns the site but don't remember the name.

It's owned by Franklin & Marshall College.

Plax

Interesting that it was a Walcott site. Didn't know that.

DJQix
On 7/11/2014 at 12:51 PM, Fossildude19 said:

PM Sent with St. Clair Directions. ;)

Regards,

Any chance you could om the St. Clair info my way too?

Thank you

Fossildude19
9 minutes ago, DJQix said:

Any chance you could om the St. Clair info my way too?

Thank you

The site is no longer open to collectors.  :( 

It is owned by Reading Anthracite, and they only allow collecting by School Groups - kids with teachers. 

Written permission is required from the company to go. 

LINK