Windmill Site (Rio Puerco, Nm) Ammonite

Pilobolus

"To the motivated go the spoils"....Success in the long run is commensurate with applied personal initiative. Once a few virgin sites are discovered through personal investment, and then time is spent getting to know other collectors, reciprocal sharing of equal value sites will open some doors to still more sites in "it takes money to make money" fashion.

Clear and honest communication is necessary to keep site sharing arrangements positive on both sides. A worst case communication might go as follows, with unspoken details serving as harbinger of the train wreck to come:

"Can you give me some site info?" <So that I can clean your sites out whenever I want and/or after every rain, with my brother in law, my buddies, and the club I belong to>

"Sure."<If you visit only once, don't sneak back without me, don't speak of the site with others, don't pressure me for next invite, and respect my desire to find something there in the future with my family, or rest it for my future guests. Please take what you've learned and apply it far away during your own explorations, as these trends persist over broad aerial extent. I'm open to reciprocation if you are interested in future site trades>

Magnanimous acts of kindness will continue to happen between collectors, but they are safest between traveling collectors living far apart. Locals have lots more time than itinerant collectors to orchestrate methodical field studies, if so motivated. At most sites, demand easily outstrips supply, so best sites are often shared with discernment, with lesser sites given up a little more freely.

Having been shown sites and having found many on my own, I'd have to say hands down that greatest satisfaction came through personal vision and initiative, learning through the successes and failures that followed.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

"To the motivated go the spoils"....Success in the long run is commensurate with applied personal initiative. Once a few virgin sites are discovered through personal investment, and then time is spent getting to know other collectors, reciprocal sharing of equal value sites will open some doors to still more sites in "it takes money to make money" fashion.

Clear and honest communication is necessary to keep site sharing arrangements positive on both sides. A worst case communication might go as follows, with unspoken details serving as harbinger of the train wreck to come:

"Can you give me some site info?" <So that I can clean your sites out whenever I want and/or after every rain, with my brother in law, my buddies, and the club I belong to>

"Sure."<If you visit only once, don't sneak back without me, don't speak of the site with others, don't pressure me for next invite, and respect my desire to find something there in the future with my family, or rest it for my future guests. Please take what you've learned and apply it far away during your own explorations, as these trends persist over broad aerial extent. I'm open to reciprocation if you are interested in future site trades>

Magnanimous acts of kindness will continue to happen between collectors, but they are safest between traveling collectors living far apart. Locals have lots more time than itinerant collectors to orchestrate methodical field studies, if so motivated. At most sites, demand easily outstrips supply, so best sites are often shared with discernment, with lesser sites given up a little more freely.

Having been shown sites and having found many on my own, I'd have to say hands down that greatest satisfaction came through personal vision and initiative, learning through the successes and failures that followed.

Perfectly articulated, Sir.

Kudos, to you.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 year later...

Hey all!

Greetings....been missing this.

Was back out in the Puerco in and below the Dakota sandstone (Late Cretaceous) last weekend and came up short on things long dead, but I did find some modern bones of interest...These were in an arroyo and thus I can't be more specific on formation, but that seems irrelevant given their age. These are most certainly bone, but not sure to what creature or part.

Caudal? Thoughts?

-Pilo

Cow toes, me thinks.

My first impression seeing them was that they were bone of fingers, so i agree with Auspex's ID.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Is it uncouth to ask for directions to this location? As a wee lad, I remember going out with my Dad in the Rio Puerco to [mostly] unsuccessfully find Ammonites. Now that I'm grown and back in Abq, I've resumed Jeep trips out to the area...but still can't find any ammonites. :)

Hi, welcome from France.

I absolutely wanted to find an ammonite, so i went on internet to try to find some spots. But the ones i found were old careers that were closed. So, i tried by visiting museums of natural history.

At the first one i found a spot were hunting wasn't forbidden because the fossils are on the foreshore and then endangered by the waves. I found my ammonite. It is a piece of half-side, but an ammonite.

Maybe you should do the same ? Have nice hunts, i am sure you'll find what you're looking for. :)

Edited by fifbrindacier

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

'nother

Veteran's Day finds....thanks to the troops for giving me this day off to play at the windmill...

Still ammonites to be found at this site... This one about 8" diameter at widest point.

lastly...

looks like impression from Pinna sp.

Other creatures

Your ammonites are awesome ! I am so jalous ! :envy:

In memory of Doren