Windmill Site (Rio Puerco, Nm) Ammonite

Pilobolus

Nice ammos! Did you pick up that gastropod mold as well?

attachicon.gif3.png

Ha! I was wondering if anyone would notice that gastro...I did not collect it as hash plates loaded with them are all over the place, and it would have to be a spectacular one in order for me to collect more than I have at this point.

Well, that advice was helpful in the identification of another sample I had not yet photographed. This was extremely friable material, so I was lucky to get what little I have in this image:

Those are columnal crinoid stalks.

Ok,

Have you more informations ? is it upper, lower turonian ?

For your first piece of ammonite you should look around Collignoniceras, the other ones are also Acanthoceratidae maybe Spathites ? I don(t know if this genus is present in your formation...and there are a lots of homeomorphy in Acanthoceratidae !

For further informations try to precise the stratigraphy !

Emile

Ok,

Have you more informations ? is it upper, lower turonian ?

For your first piece of ammonite you should look around Collignoniceras, the other ones are also Acanthoceratidae maybe Spathites ? I don(t know if this genus is present in your formation...and there are a lots of homeomorphy in Acanthoceratidae !

For further informations try to precise the stratigraphy !

Emile

Hello Emile:

My stomping grounds are similar to those of PFOOLEY and what little I know about the stratigraphy is from studying his posts and a few papers. I would speculate that most of my finds are from the Semilla Sandstone/Carlisle shale, but there are other fossil bearing formations abound.

I've seen both the Semilla and the Juana Lopez listed as members of the Mancos shale, but I don't know how to parse out the ~4 million years of the Turonian much further, however, the Semilla is supposedly middle Turonian.

I think you are correct on Spathites...my untrained eye suggested Spathites puercoensis based on similarities to PFOOLEY's finds.

Cheers,

-P

• 3 months later...

Is it uncouth to ask for directions to this location? As a wee lad, I remember going out with my Dad in the Rio Puerco to [mostly] unsuccessfully find Ammonites. Now that I'm grown and back in Abq, I've resumed Jeep trips out to the area...but still can't find any ammonites. :)

I'm speaking here as a friend of PFOOLEY. I find it extremely uncouth and uncool that someone has the gall to use his very first post in the forum to ask such a question.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well, there is no harm in asking the question, only in expecting to be given an answer. ;)

(Which, BTW,... can be found right here on the Forum, with a little bit of dilligent searching!)

Most people do not freely share their productive sites with strangers, as you can never know what the intentions of a new acquaintance actually are.

Best bet is to do some of the research and legwork yourself, and try to find spots on your own.

Join a rock/mineral/fossil club in the area, and get to know people, and learn from them. Look at geological maps, and read PFOOLEY's very informative posts here on the forum. Go out and spend the hours and days and weeks, looking at possibly productive spots.

Once you get friendly with some people, you can possibly accompany them on some trips.

You have to "pay your dues", as it were, to come up with the productive sites.

Fossil Hunting is full of motivated people who, with dedication and persistence, have found specimens through their own hard labor, blood, sweat, and tears.

We appreciate those who put in the time to learn and find things on their own. We appreciate reciprocation - if I show you a site - you should have a site of equal or greater productivity to bring me to. "Quid pro Quo."

We do not appreciate those who do not think past their own wants, and who selfishly EXPECT to be given site information.

Expecting an answer and/or being upset when it doesn't come quickly, or is not given freely, is uncouth. :(

With the advances of the internet, research is much easier than it used to be, and there is plenty of information available to you at your fingertips.

Learn to research and you will go far. Rely on the kindness of strangers,... and you can buy your fossils on Ebay.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tim put the answer rightly. I was in a bit of a hurry this morning.

Roger,

I knew what you meant! ;)

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

I guess I should have provided a bit more background to my question. I've been a mineral/fossil collector for a long time, and certainly understand the concept of "paying your dues". So the collecting world is not new to me. Internet forums are new to me, and I was curious what the etiquette is.

I've never quite fit in with most groups, as I'm a pretty open book. Did we just meet and you want to know where I found something? Here, let me draw you a map. There are plenty out there after all. BUT - don't misconstrue that as me expecting others to do the same.

The true reason I asked is that I will have some potential new fossil collectors coming along on my next trip, and I would sure like to get them hooked by guaranteeing a find or two. I have yet to meet a collector who got hooked by going out and not experiencing the thrill of a find at some point early on.

Me? Meh, I can handle finding nothing for days (or weeks, or months) on end.

I'm not looking for a fight Ludwigia and I apologize for upsetting you.

Maybe I'm new to this part of New Mexico (2 months) and I have yet to discover a good place. You do know NM takes about 8-9 hours to drive across, right? Not like I can just take a day trip to good grounds where I used to live. I dunno. It's a crazy thought, but there could be a bunch of wholesome and valid reasons why I would ask such a question in the way I did...and I'd certainly appreciate you not jumping to negative conclusions.

And as I said before, I didn't naively EXPECT and answer. This is an internet forum, after all. But if you never ask, you never know right? And it was all in the name of recruiting new hobbyists.

Take care man, and good collecting! I promise not to ask any more bad questions. :)

One suggestion would be Jimenez Springs for Pennsylvanian marine fossils. I have limited experience in New Mexico and only really know a few limited spots around Pecos and Santa Fe. They are all listed in various field guides which some quick research will reveal. But Jimenez Springs always came up when I asked folks in rock shops where to go. And I believe it's just a few hours or less north of you.

TO THE FORUM: I want to say I was rather surprised how you all stomped on this new member. Your concerns are valid but the tone was not called for. Not cool at all.

Sorry 'bout that. Now that I can understand puercodude's predicament I'll tone down my comments. I just really didn't know where he was coming from at the beginning. My apologies.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

TO THE FORUM: I want to say I was rather surprised how you all stomped on this new member. Your concerns are valid but the tone was not called for. Not cool at all.

Erich,

I was not trying to stomp on anyone, and hope it wasn't taken that way. :(:blush:

I apologize if my reply came off as snarky or mean at all. -_-

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Wow, that got intense. I think this reaction is a testament to the passion we have for our fossils, our sites and our forum. :) This may have gone a different direction if puercodude had introduced himself before said question rather than after. ;)

I did also want to point out that this thread was created by Pilobolus, a fellow "Puercoer"...you might want to shoot him a PM about your inquiry. I would also like to add that under the New Mexico section, another member generously included coordinates to this site. :D

The Puerco has much to offer to a fossicker...best of luck out there.

-P.

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

Greetings....been missing this.

Was back out in the Puerco in and below the Dakota sandstone (Late Cretaceous) last weekend and came up short on things long dead, but I did find some modern bones of interest...These were in an arroyo and thus I can't be more specific on formation, but that seems irrelevant given their age. These are most certainly bone, but not sure to what creature or part.

Caudal? Thoughts?

-Pilo

post-12980-0-49886000-1428606157_thumb.jpg

post-12980-0-09951400-1428606178_thumb.jpg

post-12980-0-30876900-1428606203_thumb.jpg

Cow toes, me thinks.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!