Piedras_de_Tejas

Hello there, my name is Cameron and i'm starting this topic to have an open page for the flow of ideas and information about the possible formation of a Hill Country Fossil Club for San Antonio, Austin, and the surrounding areas :).

This idea has been proposed before on the forums, but it didn't work out, so i'm doing my best to pull everyone together to form some sort of club. It could be anything from an organized monthly meetup for group fossil hunting trips, guest speakers, etc. to a simple email list for members to invite a couple tag-alongs on their upcoming trips. However it takes shape, it'd be beneficial to alot of the central Texas members of the forum to form a local fossil community.

So far, my idea is to maintain the facebook page created last time (for those who prefer facebook) and make an email and phone number list so each club member gets a reminder when someone plans an open-invite fossil hunting trip, or if there is a meeting coming up, or anything else of that nature.

If interested in making a list, pm me your email and texting phone number with whatever name you like to be called. If alot of people prefer to meet first, thats fine too. Maybe we can make a field trip out of it. Just reply with your thoughts and let's all start exchanging ideas. If it doesnt work long-term again at least we have a few new locals to hunt with, lol.

Cameron C. B)

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" - Albert Einstein

Sounds great to me,hopefully other ppl will join too.

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" - Dale Carnegie

Cameron,

I have always been surprised that San Antonio does not have a mineral or fossil club. Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, Waco and even Midland have clubs. Here in Austin we have the Paleontological Society of Austin and we do exactly what you describe: monthly meetings with lectures as well as monthly field trips. Check us out at austinpaleo.com

We have a meeting next Tuesday. Come check it out and get some ideas for this new club. We (PSA) will be happy to give advice.

Erich

Hi Cameron,

Our club was formed back in the 1970s when a diprotodon was discovered in NSW. The club in those days was connected to the local museum in Sydney. This diprotodon is our club emblem and we wear it at meetings and field trips. We are made up of people who have a love of fossils including professionals, amateurs and novices. People in their 60s to young children of 8 years old. We hold regular field trips usually once a month and four meetings in a club room where we invite speakers to come along and educate us on fossils or tell us about their finds. We have a web site you can visit "The Fossil Club of NSW" and members receive a magazine four times a year. The magazine gives reports on field trips,articles on fossils or finds and keeps members informed. We also send out a monthly bulletin to members letting them know about field trips and coming events. We have even made up fossil kits for schools at a cost.

We have a number of positions in our club Club president, field trips leader, secretary, treasurer, editor to magazine,webmaster and a number of sub committee members. I suggest you advertise- local papers, council-libraries, send out flyers, start a web page. Most membership comes through the web page.

Gary Davies President NSW Fossil Club

I am new to all of this. I would love to place a picture on of our laast field trip.

Hey Cameron, as you know from our previous correspondance I'm excited about getting something going. Hopefully we can get more people!

I think one of the things we need to do is determine where is everybody located who is interested in the HCFC and decide if there is a town or city that is relatively convenient for us all to get to for meetings and such.

Cameron, I'm not sure where you are located since your avatar just says South Texas. I know a few of the interested peoples are in San Antonio, I am in in San Marcos between Austin and San Antonio.

So if ya'll would chime in and say where you are then we can pick a city that is not too much of a drive for anyone of us.

Obviously, we could do the whole thing online, but one of the reasons I was interested in creating a club was that we could get together and have meetings...perhaps not monthly but every other month? I want to see what people are collecting, share info and perhaps have the occasional guest lecturer....and of course organize field trips.

I am interested in the club. There are a couple of gem and mineral clubs in San Antonio, but they really don't deal very much with fossils, but did go on a trip with them to collect pertrified wood.

Jumping in on whay JamieLynn indicated, I live in NW Bexar County closer to Boerne then downtown.

Tim

Gary and I are in Abilene, which is bit too far afield for even bimonthly meetings. But we could lead field trips toward the northern range of your area. Think Goldthwaite, Brownwood, Coleman. And if others in the informal club led field trips closer to San Antonio, Austin, Georgetown, Waco we might be able to attend.

Thanks for all of your input guys, and i agree with the ideas presented by JamieLynn and g.davies. Going with JamieLynn's idea, I'm located in west San Antonio near 410 but am frequently staying in universal city as well. I apologize for my delayed response to the topic as i've been busy lately, but I am no less eager to help form this club.

JamieLynn, I am about to join the facebook group and was wondering if you agree with my idea of an email/text list to supplement member turnout to field trips and events? I read on the old HCFC post that some people aren't too fond of facebook (I check mine once a month) and have already collected a few numbers and emails. For those too shy to share info online maybe we can have a sign up sheet at our first meeting...

Also, we can coordinate member roles or "offices" and advertising, as g.davies suggests, in person so our club (however small) has enough structure to live past the first meeting. The facebook group and email list should already cover the online advertising aspect though.

Sorry about the meeting Erich, but it was too short notice for me to reschedule my plans. I'm thinking about killing two birds with one stone and taking the time to checkout the UT campus before or after attending the next meeting, but the austinpaleo.com doesn't seem to have been edited since its first post in December, 2011 :blink:. Do you mind telling me (comment or PM) when and where the next meeting will be?

Thanks Mike for the offer, I dont mind traveling north and at the first meeting we should get an idea how far everybody else is willing to travel for trips. If you haven't already joined the facebook group you can do that or DM me an email and texting number to receive updates on upcoming trips, or meetings if you happen to be in the area.

Cameron C. B)

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" - Albert Einstein

Great! Cameron and I are co-ordinating on contacts so we can make sure everyone knows where we will try to either meet for a meeting or just gather for a hunt. Soon!!

I am rootin' for y'all!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

PSA meetings are almost always the third Tuesday of each month. April (picnic/auction) and December (holiday party) are the exceptions. Those meetings are always at the Austin Gem And Mineral Society's club house. Meetings start at 7PM sharp. Location info is on the web site. The web site is always being updated but certain things do get missed once and a while. But I am sure it has been revised since 12/2011. Did you maybe get an archived web page from google or bing?

I will join the FB group and try and at least make a meeting. I can certainly provide some advice for a new club.

Sorry about the meeting Erich, but it was too short notice for me to reschedule my plans. I'm thinking about killing two birds with one stone and taking the time to checkout the UT campus before or after attending the next meeting, but the austinpaleo.com doesn't seem to have been edited since its first post in December, 2011 :blink:. Do you mind telling me (comment or PM) when and where the next meeting will be?

• 5 weeks later...

Alrighty! The Hill Country Fossil Club first meeting is tenatively set for Sunday August 10th at 2pm at the New Braunfels Public Library! Please message me if you are interested in attending! :)

Congratulations. The first step is usually the hardest. We're all rooting for you. Wish I weren't so far away. Bob

Dang! I work weekends and will not be able to attend. I hope it goes well and if you ever want to meet out at Westcave Preserve* (far western Travis County in the Hill Country for sure) I could probably set you up.

*My weekend gig now a days.

Just a little reminder that the first Hill Country Fossil Club meeting will be this Sunday at 2pm a the New Braunfels Public Library. I have secured a room so we can chat without bothering anyone! If you like bring a few favorite fossils for show and tell! (Please keep them reasonably sized and clean so we don't mess up their room- I'll NOT be bringing my 24" ammonite....) If you have questions, feel free to email me at jamielynn@gmx.com I hope to see you there!!

Archived