Trilobite Sites In Pennsylvania

paleogeology

Hi im new to FF and just wanted to say hello to everyone and ask if theres anyone out there that know any other fossil sites around Schuylkill county area for trilobites besides seven stars or or deer lake. I have a great lower Cambrian trilobite site that I would be happy to take anyone too as well if they are interested.

God Bless

Kelly

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the forum! I am actually heading to Pennsylvania this weekend for my birthday with my children to collect at a spot that I know of. The land owner is not likely to allow more people there, however there are plenty of places to collect trilobites in Pa. If you look up 'trip one of two' you will see one of the places I collect in Pennsylvania. The kids and I will be at deer lake and also stop at saint Claire. If you're interested send me a PM and maybe we can all meet up at deer lake.

I would enjoy seeing some of your Cambrian material if you get the chance!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Kelly;

Welcome to the Fossil Forum from the Hudson Valley, NY. I've taken a number of fossil collecting trips to Pennsylvania and found these to be very worthwhile. I've collected a number of complete Eldredgeeops milleri, most of them rolled up, from a good site near Turbotsville. Would be definately interested in visiting a Lower Cambrian site. I'll post you next time I'm headed out that way. Best wishes.

Hello, I been trying to upload pics of the lower Cambrian material and keep getting an error for what ever reason?? If you PM my I would be happy to send you guys some pics.

God Bless

Kelly

Jeffrey P. Is turbotville still off limits due to the gas company owning it?

Not as far as I know. Been there twice last fall, once with the New York Paleontological Society and once this summer. Site isn't posted and nobody has chased me off. Chris from NYPS told me the property is owned ny an Amish farmer who doesn't mind fossil collecting. That's as much as I know.

Jeffrey P. Is turbotville still off limits due to the gas company owning it?

You may be thinking of the borrow pit over near Hughsville. The Gas company has quite a bit of equipment in that pit.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yeah, I'm thinking it must be a different place than where Sue was talking about. She had mentioned the gas company and that to me.

The Turbotsville site I was referring to is popularly known as Swope's Farm. I was there on Memorial Day and there was no equipment of any sort around. The Hoskins book refers to other fossil sites in that general area which I have yet to visit but sound promising.

here is one of the trilobites from my lower Cambrian site here in Pennsylvania

God Bless

Kelly

post-15609-0-30444100-1403415465_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

God Bless

Kelly

:wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

God Bless

Kelly

Thanks for posting this, Kelly!

Beautiful.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for showing us a beautiful Olenellus thompsoni. You're lucky to have a site that produces such an interesting trilobite.

Don

you guys are very welcome, Like I said I would be happy to take some people along sometime, Its really hard work as the shale is extremely tough stuff but in a day we usually get one or two whole bites and some partial ones which is more then worth the effort considering how rare these guys are.

Kelly :)

I would take you up on that offer if I didn't have to go home tomorrow. But definitely I would like to join you at some point, I will bring you to one of my spots. I don't have any of that type.

if ya get back to Schuylkill county area let me know and your more then welcome to come along.

god bless

kelly

Good to hear some collectors are still searching the Cambrian in PA. The Kinzers formation outcrops in numerous PA locations, as some close to collecting, others turn up. Personally, I haven't had a lot of luck hunting the Kinzers; but I have seen some of the WOW factor taken from said formation. I recently developed a reaction to Poison Ivy (it wasn't always that way) and now I am limited to locations to comfortably hunt. :(

Hope you don't mind if I post a couple of pics on here from this weekend with my kids in pa.

post-8290-0-96008500-1403628026_thumb.jpg

post-8290-0-22105700-1403628089_thumb.jpg

God Bless

Kelly

Thanks for sharing this find. One of my goals is to visit some of the outcrops and sites in PA and see what I can turn up. Glad to know other sites are known about and still produce!

russ

It would be fun to get together sometime and collect some of the Kinzers with you guys, and look at new outcrops. I found a thesis on the area recently, did some looking on Google Earth at outcrops I could find in area (as I was looking at what thesis showed). Has anyone tried the float around the old Getz quarry I hear that some nice small ones can be found...

Russ

Now to just figure out time and how to do the trip it is 12 hours to the area from east-central Illinois.....

God Bless

Kelly

Wow that is a sweet bug Kelly, love the Olenellids... Lower Cambrian collecting is one of my big aspects of my trilobite collection. Thanks for sharing....

Congrats on that beautiful trilobite. Would love to get out there and collect. Maybe later in the summer or fall.

Yea I still collect at getz but theres not really much there as most of the pit is filled in by the housing development the made there :(

All I found there was one head this year. the other place I go is not to far away and has a whole hillside of exposed rock. usually I can get one or two whole ones there a day by hand and a few more when we bring our jackhammer and gas saw. power tools are the way to go with that stuff as its really tough to say the least