Unknown Jaw From Sulphur River

believerjoe

Found in the north sulphur but was thinking mammal which would take us to Pleistocene. What does this belong to? I assumed tusks due to the length and direction.

post-14723-0-94802700-1403294235_thumb.jpg

post-14723-0-31211300-1403294243_thumb.jpg

post-14723-0-46684300-1403294390_thumb.jpg

Fish seems likely, given the 'flakey' bone texture. Reptile is a possibility too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Could be a Protosphyraena partial jaw section because of the oval like tooth sockets, fish for sure---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The teeth are over 1/2 inch wide. Any guess as to the possible size? I never gave fish a chance because it seemed too large. There are two teeth and a smooth spot where a third one would be. Found three xiphactinus pieces in the same area, so maybe another trip is warranted there. Everything I find is river wash, but we will find more places in the near future. Our collection is growing with a few cool pieces. Thanks again to all that help me learn and I hope to help id things once I have more time under my belt.

We have had good luck as of late finding interesting things. All of this comes from gravel bars that most don't have the patience for. I long to find something where it has been laying for quite some time.

Archived