Large Morrocan Crinoid Plate - Real?

Bev

I am considering buying this Morrocan crinoid plate at Niagara Cave for a hefty $170. The owner of the cave said that it was sold to him as a true fossil plate, however, I did purchase a trilobite plate from him that was NOT real but sold as real.

post-9628-0-81624100-1403320651_thumb.jpg

Is it real?

Is this a far price for this? It is perhaps 16" x 11" or better.

Thanks for looking! Opinions appreciated! :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I can not tell you if its real or not but if it is that's a great deal beautiful piece

The price seems to good to be true...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks okay based on your one photo but it does need to be prepped better.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Go for it. Price seems realistic. I have never seen one of these faked. Too much detail to try and fake. It would be obvious.

crinus

Go for it. Price seems realistic. I have never seen one of these faked. Too much detail to try and fake. It would be obvious.

crinus

Thanks Crinus!!! :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

This thread moved over here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/47516-incredible-crinoid-hunt/

Lots more pics of the Moroccan crinoid plates Mark has for sale.

I ended up buying a different plate - even more crinoids on it - and had a very prolific hunt after I left Niagara Cave not more than 5 miles away and hit a shale cut maybe a mile or two from that with a nice haul also!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Just one note on this plate, and it is common on most of these moroccan crinoids, the "Stem"as it is often referred to, has been composited in to make the piece look better. This is the case with the majority of these. Still a very nice piece at a fair price.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Look at the backside, it is fairly easy to tell if it has been pieced together, watch mostly for color changes that don't seem to mesh.

Jim

post-9628-0-81443400-1403628993_thumb.jpg

This is the one I ended up buying for the same price. Back looks good to be a single unit.

The one stem might be pieced in, but I am very happy with it for the price!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

That is a seriously attractive fossil; you got a terrific deal!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

That is a seriously attractive fossil; you got a terrific deal!

Thanks Auspex! I've been lusting after this since I saw it a year ago. When I went online looking at similar crinoid plates at the fossilmall.com I was truly astonished by the prices! Busted the bank though for buying any other fossils this year, but heck, I have enough of my own. :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Anyone have a clue what these crinoids might be as an ID? They look Silurian to me,..

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Anyone have a clue what these crinoids might be as an ID? They look Silurian to me,..

Scyphocrinites is the predominant upper Silurian crinoid in northeastern Africa (Algeria & Morocco). Some of the crinoid bed exposures are up to 30 meters thick!

Congrats on the great acquisition!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 3 weeks later...

Don't buy it! It is a fake. You can see the color of the rock its on differs slightly from the place the actual crinoid shows up. This is a big warning sign! I lost alot of money buying these fakes...however, it IS a very nice fake. (I know. I have several of them).

Don't buy it! It is a fake. You can see the color of the rock its on differs slightly from the place the actual crinoid shows up. This is a big warning sign! I lost alot of money buying these fakes...however, it IS a very nice fake. (I know. I have several of them).

Define fake- Partially restored/touched up a bit? Composite from multiple fragmentary specimens? Or just completely artificial (no real fossil material at all)?

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I'll have to trust crinus on this one: if an authority such as he says it is not a fake, that is good enough for me!

I'll have to trust crinus on this one: if an authority such as he says it is not a fake, that is good enough for me!

Thanks Auspex. It is just not worth faking this crinoid. There are thousands of real ones for sale in Tuscan every year. I have looked at many and I have yet to see a "fake". If we were talking starfish, there would be a different discussion. And Paleo.... is right. Define fake. There will always be touch up to the matrix and maybe a stem or two attached or reattached. That does not mean the crinoids are fake. The crinoids are definitely real. Why would someone fake a crinoid and then fake a stem going across the crinoids. Fakes are usually perfect and no detail. Scyphocrinites has too much detail to try and fake. If someone tried to fake the detail on this crinoid, the fake would end up costing more that the real item.

crinus

• 1 year later...

I hope Bev secured this plate, it looks genuine enough, could have restoration, of course on a photo it is very difficult to be 100% conclusive. Best to get a receipt stating real, genuine fossil, or buy from a fossil store which issues a money back type guarantee or authenticity certificate. It does look typical of the type from near Erfoud, S.E.Morocco.

I hope Bev secured this plate, it looks genuine enough, could have restoration, of course on a photo it is very difficult to be 100% conclusive. Best to get a receipt stating real, genuine fossil, or buy from a fossil store which issues a money back type guarantee or authenticity certificate. It does look typical of the type from near Erfoud, S.E.Morocco.

It's on my shelf. :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Archived