Fossilized Algae

fossils4fun

Hi, I collect rocks for fun and relaxation. I have a few that I would love to get opinions on. I contacted a very nice man at University and he said it looked to be fossilized algae. He also gave me the address to this website so I could learn more about fossils. I can use all the help I can get and look forward to your comments.

When you get a chance throw a picture up there for us to take a look. Be advised that the forum is undergoing some work on it so the photos might not load. Be patient. There are instructions in the How To section if you need help.

Thank you so much, I tried to upload a picture but maybe my picture quality wasn't quite good enough. I will try again later, thanks again.

Most often, failure-to-load is due to a too-large file size.

Here are two brief tutorials to help you through it:

LINK1

LINK2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Check out this specimen, then scroll down the description to the link to an algae thread with more examples.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/22057-dasyclad-green-algae/

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Very interesting! The patterns seem organic enough; could have been caused by an algal mat, by mud drying, or (my best guess) both.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is really fun. I think I will be asking questions on a lot more of my finds. Thanks so much for all the information.

I found this with it. Not sure if it is a plant, feather, or fins?

Looks like dragonfly wings somehow... how big are they?

Sorry, I should of said to the other end too. Anyway all the way the length of it. Next time I post I will try to put beside a ruler or something so as not to make it confusing.

Archived