A Noobs Guide For Finding New Collecting Sites

TomKoss

I'm new to fossil hunting myself. So let me add a few things that I haven't seen in the forums for finding sites. First off, I kinda took the long approach. I'll give the steps I have taken.

I tried to jump to the "point me to a site to dig and find a fossil", litterally only 1 site in Illinois <where I live> is famous and openned to all for part of the year... Mazon Creek <which unfortunately is a day trip away for me>

So started using google. Everything still pointed to Mazon Creek or Rockford area <even farther away>.

Now Mazon creek fossils are famous and worth the trip and chance to collect. But, its heavily collected, over grown this time of year. <I learned the hard way by visiting>

Now onto my approach to this.

I started with some of original geological surveys for my state. <talking 1880's reports for my state>. The great part about this portion was reading the reports and understanding what was here before all the major cities, highways, dams and general human land modifications that have occured. The shear amount of geographic modifications we humans do, its down right scary. But, the best part about this. It is that these first geologists where not biased to one location or another. They noted what they found and where. The Economical surveys have proven to be my best finds so far, Since the geologists used the found fossils at these sites to build up the picture of the geological layering and composition of the forming regions. And the best part is they were using the same Quadrangle maps that became standard for the USGS civil mapping projects back then. The maps break down to the township and section locations then break down to the location with in the grid. It really narrows it down quite a bit. In addition to the geology of a area, they not unique features at times, stone quarrys, clay pits and old mines. Not only vertical mines, but also slope mines and bank excavations. Nearly all of these sites have been abandoned and forgotten now.

From the orginal surveys I worked up thru the years. I did not read every county within the survey. I concentrated on things within an hour drive of home. So this narrowed my reading down to approx 8 counties. Unfortunately what i found going up thru the surveys and closer to present. They changed more and more into technical mobo jumbo that I didnt go to college for. They were less and less deverse and started to lack clues of where to locate my objective. Which was always easily reachable fossils.

Most of those surveys are free online, either thru your state geological survey department or most e-book retailers even have some for free. Personally I have a nook, so i use Barnes and Nobles, IGSG and USGS for alot of my stuff.

Additionally Quadrangle maps, 7.5 minute, 30 minute and 1:100,000 USGS maps and topographies. I cant stress they maps enough. These maps come in MANY types. examples I use now: topography, surface deposit, quaternary deposit, loess, moraines deposits.

Now the newer maps <since 2008> have been updated to be more percise than the older maps, so somethings are a little off from what you will read in these old surveys. But Its easy to cross reference the locations since each of the locations will mention the land holders name 9 times out of 10. With that information you can check at a local library in that county for a Plat Book for the year in question and narrow it down further. But most of the times you get the general area.

Now the above information will kinda give you a idea of whats actually around and under all that concrete thats been poured.

Next came the fun parts and also make interesting days trips for learning the geology in your area. Geological Field Trip Guide Books!

Geological Field Trip Guide Books are basicly a field trip containing a route, locations and points of interest. Here in Illinois the ISGS has 4 annual field trips. They are basicly a way to engage the public to geology. Each book has a Full route, Map, distance, what is at each stop and some historical facts. They are designed to not only follow along with on the day of that planned field trip, but also to be followed by other groups or individuals at later times. In nearly each field trip I have read thru, there is at least 1 stop for collecting Rocks or Fossils. And each time they have been a site I may have driven past a dozen times in my life and never thought to look there. Older field guides are usually available for free off most geological survey sites. However newer ones may cost a few dollars. Most have been made available online but pre 1985 ones here in Illinois have to be purchased printed for a couple bucks from the geological survey.

Now next up on my reading list was my state geology book. Here in Illinois our ISGS <Illinois State Geological Survey> has a book written by them with a complete overview of the state geology. This filled in alot of gaps for me and has started to lay a firm ground work for my knowlege <It ain't all greek anymore!!!> I attempted to read this first, but alot didnt make sense to me, partly due to the fact the local geology was a mystery since I just moved here not long ago. Beyond that I have read a few other geology books for my area of the country.

At last I found my "bible" per say at my local library. Its called "Fossils for Amateurs - A handbook for collectors" by Russel P. MacFall and Jay Wollin. I really wish I would have started with this book. The book was written in 1972, but every bit of it is still valid. This is a "must" purchase. After borrowing it from the library, I ended up searching and buying a near mint copy off Amazon for $11.

Unfortunately there are no active geological clubs around me. There was one, but there website has been defunct for over 2 years now. Check for a local club, this would be a great option.

Last but not least, Surfing the net! I just browse and find some interesting things now and again. Some youtube video, flickr <thanks to alot of cams now having GPS>, facebook, news article or blog post. Found a few leads this way. I will also say i've found a few sites that were illegal to hunt and collect in this way too. But take those sites and view the geology and most times you will find a site outside of the park boundaries that is accessable and huntable :)

Now all thru my journey thru this "education" process I have been documenting the sites mentioned thru all of these sources thru Google Earth. This gives me the satalite view of the areas and a way to plot them. Once I visit a site and locate specimans I use my Garmin GPS to note the exact location and Log them in my journal. That way I can update the locations on my google earth files. In addition, google earth and streetview are excellent for discovering rock outcrops, streams, and interesting features while Im planning my excursion. This allows me to have a goal, but also gives me alternate sites incase the first place is a bust.

So that has been my approach, so far I have cataloged approx 50 sites from my research. I've only had time so far to Verify 3 due to work schedule and crappy spring-summer weather. Each one in a place that was "Bull dozed by glaciers" and buried under yards of loess.

Luckily for me, There are Silurian and thin devonian beds in my coverage area. And I am quite partial to those eras. But most eras above the Pennsylvanian has been cleared by the glacial advances over the last 100k years. Still I have hope that maybe one day I'll come accross some loess from the jurassic that was sheared off and deposited in a moraine contaning a dino bone and become the first person to locate one in Illinois :)

Ok thats my 2 cents and journey.

I'm moving this from a response I added in the Q&A forum on the advice of CoCo :D

My take of this may be a bit unique, but so far I believe its working.

And one other thing, which has turned out to be my biggest and best reference so far. This site, and the people on it! B)

• I found this Informative 24

You are certainly well along on your fossil-hunting adventure. I'm sure many of the people on this forum have discovered new sites exactly as you have, but I've personally only used a few of your well-explained techniques. I'm just an old newbie and I appreciate your sharing your methods. Thanks.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

A most excellent post! Thanks TomKoss!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

50 sites from your own research is an admirable milestone, and you'll value the finds more from those sites than from sites you are shown. it is akin to catching a 50 inch redfish on a mullet that you cast netted yourself.

one more good source of info is unpublished masters theses... i've bought a number of them and found them to be gold mine of detailed and oftimes little known info... the makings of good hunts now and in the future.

speaking of the future, i feel that best new sites in future decades may be on private land, so i can't stress enough honing your ability to track down, win over, reward and respect private landowners.

• I found this Informative 5

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 9 months later...

MacFall's Fossils for Amateurs is a gem! Glad you found it. I got my copy in the 80s. Too bad no clubs near you. That is probably the best way to get guided to productive sites and like minded members will usually share information.

Very nice post.... wish I had 50 sites that I knew about for collecting. I tend to revisit the same dozen places within a three hour drive of me and feel very fortunate to have found them.

Now if only all this snow would melt and the temperature get above freezing so I can get out again.

Tom, I don't think you are going to be a "Noob" for long! Great post!

I can only add that I have had stellar luck at gaining access on private land just by politely asking the land owners, and then sometimes sharing my finds with them, or just showing them what has been found. Sometimes they look at the items like..."That's what you are looking for"??? And then they just say to come anytime and use the property at your own discretion.

I should probably not admit it to Malcolmt, but I am considering not going fossil hunting this weekend due to the cold. It is forecast to be in the low 70's as a high! We will have to get out the wet-suits again for that kind of "bone chilling" wx.

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

This post is from last summer... And I missed it then. But it is great. Excellent work tom koss. It is very much how I got started, except that I found Fossils or Amateurs much earlier in the process. For those who may wonder why some of us keep our sites secret, notice how much work is involved.

Edited by jpc

• 3 weeks later...

one more good source of info is unpublished masters theses... i've bought a number of them and found them to be gold mine of detailed and oftimes little known info... the makings of good hunts now and in the future.

That's a brilliant idea and one I'll have to adopt! Simply amazing...you clever paleophile you.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

• 3 months later...

Wow that's alot of work. I suggest you Google harder. The surveys I have found give me a location and GPS longitude ect ect took me 3 mins to find it.

This post is from last summer... And I missed it then. But it is great. Excellent work tom koss. It is very much how I got started, except that I found Fossils or Amateurs much earlier in the process. For those who may wonder why some of us keep our sites secret, notice how much work is involved.

No is because they get picked clean once they are posted online. I went to a site posted on here in alberta badlands this weekend the rock bed he posted was picked clean. Nothing was left. I had to past it by a few 100 meters and got really lucky to find a dino bone sitting in plan sight.

I will be going back and going a bit farther in next time. Only thing protecting the site is bugs and cougars bush and this lazy generation lol.

• 6 months later...

Pardon my piping up when I'm still very new to this site; however, I've seen a few people mention the same "problem" of giving up on "old" sites because (it's believed) that they will never yield anything good again....... I felt compelled to share my experience and let you all know that you can be very wrong on this score !! I noticed that some people no longer wanted to go to "old" sites because too many people had been there and the sites are now picked over and exhausted. I used to feel this way about a few places, but now i know better. The fact is that, here in the Northeast, we have had a few "superstorms" that have totally changed the game. Places that were, indeed, played out are like new again. Those storms caused so much reconfiguration of the ground, such massive erosion, that the sites are now like new....... things formerly buried for many centuries are now being revealed. I used to visit one site up here over and over, since i was about 20 years old (I'm 48 now)..... As i grew older, I noticed that everything was, indeed, overworked and yielding almost nothing. Then I started going there AFTER the superstorms...... WOW.....I can't tell you how much phenomenal stuff i've come up with after those storms. You can just see how the unstable bluffs (lots of sand and clay) have crumbled away and been washed downhill. To wind up this thought, don't give up on a place if you've got reason to believe that some recent erosion has taken place !!! Total game changer. In my case, I'm now hauling stuff out in sacks and the things are museum quality. PS I am doing the responsible thing and am having the things reviewed by local archaeologists, and am interested in having them displayed or at least preserved for future generations. Just some thoughts, FWIW

• I found this Informative 3

pardon my piping up when i'm still very new to this site; however, i've seen a few people mention the same "problem" of giving up on "old" sites because (it's believed) that they will never yield anything good again....... I felt compelled to share my experience and let you all know that you can be very wrong on this score !! I noticed that some people no longer wanted to go to "old" sites because too many people had been there and the sites are now picked over and exhausted. I used to feel this way about a few places, but now i know better. The fact is that, here in the Northeast, we have had a few "superstorms" that have totally changed the game. Places that were, indeed, played out are like new again. Those storms caused so much reconfiguration of the ground, such massive erosion, that the sites are now like new....... things formerly buried for many centuries are now being revealed. I used to visit one site up here over and over, since i was about 20 years old (I'm 48 now)..... As i grew older, i noticed that everything was, indeed, overworked and yielding almost nothing. Then i started going there AFTER the superstorms...... WOW.....I can't tell you how much phenomenal stuff i've come up with after those storms. You can just see how the unstable bluffs (lots of sand and clay) have crumbled away and been washed downhill. To wind up this thought, don't give up on a place if you've got reason to believe that some recent erosion has taken place !!! Total game changer. In my case, I'm now hauling stuff out in sacks and the things are museum quality. PS I am doing the responsible thing and am having the things reviewed by local archaeologists, and am interested in having them displayed or at least preserved for future generations. Just some thoughts, FWIW

Welcome to the Forum Miss Moose - glad to have you aboard. :)

You are absolutely correct, that sometimes it is worth revisiting older sites.

Sometimes, it may just be a while before more is exposed, as you said.

Land changes constantly, and is worth exploring to find what we seek.

Welcome, again. Please post up some of your finds!

We'd love to see them.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

MissMoose... great tale... as Tim said, we would love to see what cool stuff you are finding. We all like fossil pix around here.

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 years later...

I’m brand new here but would to say thanks to everyone. It is totally amazing the work Tom did!

Due to a palytoxin poisoning, there is no way I even think of doing what he did!

again, what an  amazing job Tom!!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Thank you for this post. Respect for your efforts! The US is a verry big place compared to my country which has a many inhabitants as the city of New York (and has over three paleontological/geological clubs). I admire the effort you have put in self study and looking stuff up. I know we all start with the idea of 'point me to a place where I can dig up a fossil' but after the first time you try hunting fossils you quickly awake from that dream :) 

I'm also still verry green on this subject. But I think your approach is the right way :) cheers and keep diggin' ;) 

(and thanks for the book tip!) 

• 1 month later...

One of the advantages of visiting known fossil sites is learning how to id a potential site. I was lost in north central PA (rt 6, Gaines) in 2014 with my son and we came across a road cut that had a similar looking geology to Red Hill (Catskill formation) where we just were. Fortunately, there was a big parking lot across the street which is not always the case. It took my son about 30 seconds to find fish layers. We ended up getting a hotel room there and working it the whole next day. We also went back in 2016 to see if we could extract more. I was just cataloguing the material! This site had a lot of Bothriolepis plates and we also found a lungfish tooth plate, Holoptychius jaw fragment and scales plus other sarcopterygian scales and teeth. The problem is that of the 2-300 meter exposure there was only a small 3-4 meter, 25 cm thick fossil layer that we could find. That exposure just happen to be accessible from the street. Fossilization of vertebrate remains is definitely not rule.

DSCN7582.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

• 11 months later...

Another tip is to befriend your local (city, town or county) road maintenance crew members or well loggers. They see all kinds of stuff whilst going about their work. I work with a ton of highway engineers and construction crews. They’re always bringing back crazy finds to the office for our paleo buffs and our geologists to id. I’ve gotten some pretty interesting site tips from our crews. 

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Tom, this is great information for folks like me who have no idea where to look! I've ordered the McFall book. 

12 hours ago, KathyGrant said:

Thanks, Tom, this is great information for folks like me who have no idea where to look! I've ordered the McFall book. 

Being able to access old threads is a fantastic fossil resource,  Some threads started 10-15 years ago.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

If you live in W.Va., VA., MD, DE, or PA, you might find this resource on the topic of new collecting sites interesting; it's an oldie but a goodie! "Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States: With Localities, Collecting Tips, and Illustrations of more than 450 Fossil Specimens," by Jasper Burns. Published by The Johns Hopkins University Press.

Edited by KathyGrant

• Fossildude19 changed the title to A Noobs Guide For Finding New Collecting Sites