Axis Rotation

RomanK

This is unusual Bothrodendron branch scar fragment, because stem's axis do not match to the scar's one. I presume that I found an example from the specific stem zone just beneath the main "fork" of the stem (main dichotomy). I have never seen something like that!

post-814-0-78166000-1403516233_thumb.jpg

post-814-0-73657700-1403516255_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK

Wonderful, Roman!

Congratulations - looks like a very rare find!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A very interesting anomaly, and a worthy interpretation!

Thanks Roman!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice. I don't see a lot of information about Bothodendron in the U.S. literature. Does it also go by a different name?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Very nice. I don't see a lot of information about Bothodendron in the U.S. literature. Does it also go by a different name?

Bothrodendron (with an "r") :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ha :) . That certainly helps.

Actually, I did spell it right when searched earlier. It looks like a lot of the papers about it are older, and I just wondered if it had a newer name that is also used. Or is it just less studied than others.

For instance.....I don't see it mentioned at all in the Mazon Creek flora or other Illinois carboniferous. Is it just absent from this area or is it named differently.

Edited by Stocksdale

For instance.....I don't see it mentioned at all in the Mazon Creek flora or other Illinois carboniferous. Is it just absent from this area or is it named differently.

It appears that the morphotype is absent from the Mazon Creek flora: probably a habitat thing.

Thank you Stockdale! You can see the attached paper about Bothrodendron in USA. Regards. Roman

American Journal of Botany 1989 Wnuk3.pdf

On 6/23/2014 at 10:33 AM, Stocksdale said:

Here is a record and description of Bothrodendron from Illinois:

ABSTRACT- Bothrodendron minutifolium, a lycopod previously known from European localities, has been discovered in Lower Pennsylvanian strata of the Illinois Basin. This plant bears small, transversely elliptical leaf scars containing vascular and parichnos scars, and has a prominent ligule pit scar above the leaf scar. The stem surface between the leaf scars is rugose with a predominantly transverse orientation of the furrows. In these furrows, the cuticle is very thick. The cuticle of the raised areas in between the furrows shows centrally located circular structures and cellular impressions more or less radiately arranged around them. Bothrodendron, though it is relatively small, appears to be closely allied to the Lepidodendraceae and Sigillariaceae. Its presence in the Drury Shale supports an early Westphalian age determination for these strata.

Jennings, J.R. (1979)

Lower Pennsylvanian Plants of Illinois. III: Bothrodendron from the Drury Shale.

Journal of Paleontology, 53(3):519-523

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Roman,

Thanks for sending the link to the paper.

Ha :) . That certainly helps.

Actually, I did spell it right when searched earlier. It looks like a lot of the papers about it are older, and I just wondered if it had a newer name that is also used. Or is it just less studied than others.

Bothrodendron Lindley et Hutton, 1833

Thanks Piranha and RomanK,

That will help me get more familiar with Bothrodendron.