Horse Hoof Core

NCFossils

I posted some finds from my weekend trip to Green Mill Run with my daughter in the Hunting Trips section and was told that one of our mystery find was a horse hoof cast. As anyone who has hunted GMR knows it is hard to determine ages due to the mixing and reworking of several layers. We tried to research this item and found very little info. I was hoping some of the experts on here could give me some more info on this find or point me to a reference with more information. My daughter is really intrigued with her find and we are trying to find out anything at all about it. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Brad

post-3668-0-89103900-1403575933_thumb.jpg

post-3668-0-10277400-1403576044_thumb.jpg

post-3668-0-51569800-1403576113_thumb.jpg

Cast? Is it not bone? How would a cast get into the Run?

I have a few hoof core images in my 'BONES' album . . . look around. Start here:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/25048-horse-toe-bones/

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for correcting me. The bone was identified as a "horse hoof core" on the trips forum page. My sleep deprived brain read core as cast. My daughter originally picked it up thinking it was more whale bone and I had it originally labeled as bone.

I appreciate the help!

Personally...I'm not immediately seeing a horse hoof core (which is actually the distal phalanx). Am I missing something because I'm not seeing any sign of an articulating faced on your specimen?

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Hmmm...I looked at it again and I'm still not seeing it. Guess that just goes to show you just how bad my eyes really ARE getting...even with my newly-purchased glasses! I'll take your word for it, Harry.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Archived