Differences In Oviraptor Egg Sizes

-Andy-

Most Chinese raptor eggs on the market supposedly comes from Guangdong.

I've noticed that these range in size from 16cm all the way to fat 22cm eggs.

Are these size variations indicative of them being from different theropod dinosaurs, or different oviraptorids?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I'm no expert on eggs but Ive got to think the simple answer is yes. Oviraptors came in all different sizes so I have to believe that their eggs were different just like today's birds. If you look at the theropod group excluding oviraptors the answer should be the same.

I know that fossil-dealers like to market their large and fat oviraptor eggs above 21cm as "Citipati sp.". How accurate is this label?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I know that fossil-dealers like to market their large and fat oviraptor eggs above 21cm as "Citipati sp.". How accurate is this label?

I understood that Citipati eggs were the largest definitive oviraptorid eggs known, at up to 18cm versus Oviraptor at up to 14cm. I guess you might get to 21cm for a flattened Citipati egg where the fractured portions are somewhat separated on the matrix. The sizes (although perhaps not the possible variation within species or across species of either genus) are relatively well established from multiple specimens found representing intact nests with egg clusters and the parent skeleton on top in a brooding position.

It would therefore seem reasonable, albeit presumptive, to attribute the larger eggs to Citipati.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Unless an egg was found in a nest with a skeleton I don't know how one can attribute it to a specific species.

Anything less would simply be a guess, that is why eggs are classified as to the structure of eggshell. Dealers always want to put a name on what they sell and buyers like to purchase a specific species its good marketing.

Unless an egg was found in a nest with a skeleton I don't know how one can attribute it to a specific species.

Anything less would simply be a guess, that is why eggs are classified as to the structure of eggshell. Dealers always want to put a name on what they sell and buyers like to purchase a specific species its good marketing.

Species? No. Genus has more promise. There is one named and one probable but unnamed species for Citipati so the species possibilities are pretty limited for what we know at the moment. Genus attribution for oviraptorid eggs (known only from the Late Cretaceous of Asia) is indeed based on circumstantial evidence but it's not based on solely on the appearance and size of the eggs themselves and it's rather more than "simply a guess". Stratigraphy, prevalence and distribution of other fossil evidence which can be attributed also plays its part. Plus - as I said - we do have incontrovertible comparison eggs for at least some species (notably the one species of Citipati) where eggs, nest and parent were found together.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]