Back in July of 2009, I was crawling around an Upper Cretaceous Eagle Ford Formation (late Turonian) site that was exposed by recent excavations. There were many amazingly preserved marcasite / pyrite encrusted ammonites and other fauna to be found. However, one of 'gems' of that site was a beautiful, tiny regular echinoid. I was fascinated with it and I made additional discoveries that I wrote about in an article on The Fossil Forum.

(early images)
post-420-0-22701600-1403899886_thumb.jpg post-420-0-73691600-1403900361_thumb.jpg

In trying to establish an identification, I checked with several experienced Texas collectors and none of them recognized it. When that happens, you really start to get your hopes up you may have found something new to paleontology. Then, I saw a similar echinoid on London's Natural History Museum website, The Echinoid Directory. Ahhh! Finally, I figured out that the genus must be a Bathysalenia ...but, there was no species listed for North America and my find had some distinct differences. This ID was tentatively confirmed by a few other echinoid experts and a new search began.

(holotype - early images and actual size @ 1440 x 900 screen resolution)
post-420-0-90360700-1403901111_thumb.jpg post-420-0-92127300-1403901098_thumb.jpg post-420-0-21805000-1403901102.jpg

It still took almost another year of personal research and networking to find someone able to take on the project of the little urchin. Again, I must mention that Alex Osso (thank you, my friend) was very patient, offered good advice and was helpful in facilitating paleo connections. Ultimately, he introduced me to paleontologist, John W. M. Jagt. This surprised and thrilled me because I was familiar with some of his work on mosasaurs (another of my favorite fossils.) His interest was due to his prior research on Turonian aged fauna of Europe.

Over the next four years, the article had many "starts" and "stops", since it was a personal project. However, we stayed in touch and the work continued when possible. During this process, I decided to name this fossil after one of my older nephews. He accompanied my late Dad and me on many outdoor adventures when he was younger. So, I'm really excited to introduce a new species of echinoid from the Eagle Ford Formation of Texas: Bathysalenia skylari n. sp. This is the first record of the genus in North America and the first regular echinoid in the Eagle Ford Formation. The holotype and one paratype have been contributed to the University of Texas Non-vertebrate Paleontology Lab. Another paratype has been donated to the Maastricht Natural History Museum (where John Jagt is the Curator of Paleontology.)

(specimen #7 and #13)
post-420-0-52204100-1403901441_thumb.jpg post-420-0-47034300-1403901592_thumb.jpg

Bathysalenia skylari, a new late Turonian (Late Cretaceous) saleniid
echinoid from central Texas, USA

Abstract:
"A new species of saleniid is recorded from the so-called ‘Eagle Ford Condensed Zone’ with typical elements
of the late Turonian Prionocyclus hyatti cephalopod Zone, which rests unconformably on the South
Bosque Marl (Collignoniceras woollgari cephalopod Zone) in the Georgetown area, Williamson County
(central Texas). It is easily distinguished from both extinct (late Albian - early Paleocene) and extant
congeners by a comparatively low test, wide ambulacral zones with large (near-)horizontal pore pairs, a
large peristome with conspicuous gill slits and a highly ornamented apical disc with a relatively small
suranal plate. The new species constitutes the first record of the genus Bathysalenia from North America."

• I found this Informative 13

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It is really a nice think to find a new species on an area ! Congrats !

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

New species is cool enough, but first example of the genus in the western hemisphere...Great Googly Moogly!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:yay-smiley-1: Well done, John! :yay-smiley-1:

Congratulations to you on this wonderful find/achievement! :default_clap2::thumbsu::fistbump::SlapHands:

Way to go!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you. I truly appreciate your comments. :)

Very cool find. I can't wait to see more of them found.

That would be cool. :)

What an inspirational story reflecting the best of what avocational collectors can bring to the table! Some people are "amateur" only in the sense that they aren't paid to work on fossils, but they are "professional" in their interest, knowledge, and desire to contribute to the science.

Don

What an inspirational story reflecting the best of what avocational collectors can bring to the table! Some people are "amateur" only in the sense that they aren't paid to work on fossils, but they are "professional" in their interest, knowledge, and desire to contribute to the science.

Don

We do well to publicize the fact that there are 'amateurs' who can recognize a find as different, and pursue their curiosity to fruition! This is the dedication that secures new knowledge. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you, gentlemen...and Lady. :D

Finding cool stuff is a lot of fun; but as many others on the Forum have shown, so is advancing the science of what we know about the past.

John, I really admire your patience, tenacity and endurance. Congratulations to you and your nephew!

Thank you, Roger.

Thanks, Mike.

Good work on your paper and condolences on your dad.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thank you, Dan.