How Wide Can Crinoid Columnals Get?

collector

I'm in consensus with the others that this is not a crinoid columnal, nor an echinoderm of any sort. 

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, IAmHal said:

You are gracious and jealous XP

??

I have no jealousy. I don't collect crinoids much. From a scientific lens, I just don't see this as crinoidal. It's an interesting piece, but I don't see anything morphological to suggest crinoid, sorry.

• I Agree 3

Where was the item found? @IAmHal

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm in the concretion camp myself. Looking at the smaller, flat topped ones, I can see how they could have been formed. The layers or rings tell the tale. Layer upon layer of mineral rich sediment from liquid flowing through a tube like structure. The sediment starts building up on the inside of the tube & gradually gets thicker until it is a solid unit. The larger one just hadn't gotten to the solid point yet, hence the hollow center. Pic is of a section of water pipe with hard mineral buildup. Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. :shrug:

pipe.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Indeed. Your two cents is compelling, and would attribute it no less than 50 cents value. Just kidding, I value your examination. I am very disappointed, but I can understand your points.

You can't win them all. Then again, maybe everybody here is wrong and what I have is still a huge crinoid fossil! Lol

20210708_215023.jpg

20210708_214941.jpg

33 minutes ago, IAmHal said:

Then again, maybe everybody here is wrong and what I have is still a huge crinoid fossil! Lol

While this is a possibility in all cases, one would be more inclined to believe the multiple people on this forum who have had years of experience in this field and have collectively seen countless specimens.

If you really don't trust the expertise of people on this forum, you could always contact a museum to see what they say about it.

Edited by Misha
  • I Agree 3

Your second photo looks like rugose coral, first photo branching bryozoans.you may wish to provide scale by using a ruler or tape measure, as that is important data.

You still have not said where any of these are found. That is essential for geologic purposes.

I will doubt your claim that everyone here is wrong given the accumulated centuries of experience, but do bring your piece for an in-hand look with a local expert at a museum.

• I Agree 2

Nice to see this thread reactivated.

Since my last post, the largest crinoid columnals I've come across are specimens from the Tournaisian, lower Mississippian of Lancashire, England. (Morphogenus Bystrowicrinus Yeltysheva which ranges from the Ordovician - I don't think they're all large.)

According to this paper (abstract only here), the Lancashire ones can exceed 60mm/2.4".

https://pygs.lyellcollection.org/content/59/3/211

This is my largest, a gift from a collector friend. It's 44m/1.73"

IMG_3947.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Tarquin

On 7/8/2021 at 6:16 PM, IAmHal said:

20210708_180757.jpg

20210708_180904.jpg

Could these be weathered speleothems? Over the years, I've found flowstone and even stalagtites and a column within voids in limestone.

• I Agree 2

Context is critical.

• 1 year later...

Wow.  The largest I found along with a couple smaller ones from the same location.  The large horn coral? was found in the same general area.  Hungry Hollow and Ausable River in Ontario. 

20221122_232302.jpg

20221122_232355.jpg

20221122_232226.jpg

20221122_232448.jpg

Edited by PRLE
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1